12 October 2008

Where did you go now...

Well, this is interesting. J's been gone for an hour trying to get a hold of his other sister to talk. I don't mind being left alone, but I'm getting a little worried. I napped a bit and the Cowboy/Cardinal game is on so I'm okay. I just kind of miss him and am worried about him.

This morning we went to church. J goes to the Methodist church down the way and they have Sunday School classes for all age groups. He's in the Transition Class for those not married, out of college. He's the oldest in the group (with the exception of me today).

The “class” is basically a small group setting. The Assoc. Pastor (AP for this segment) talks with them a bit about their week, then they watch a video and discuss it.

This was the video we watched (though it was a bit longer) on Prayer. The class is using Rob Bell's NOOMA series. The video was good, I will say. The discussion amongst J, Marty and AP was centering around prayer “asking” God for things.

I sat back and listened a bit to what they were saying. Then AP called on me. I said that prayer isn't just asking God for things or thanking God – it's a constant conversation with God. It doesn't always have to be grateful. Rob Bell had even touched briefly on the Lament Psalms and I threw in Job because often the conversations you need to have with God are ones when you are really letting your emotions go: Be ticked off, Let God know. It's okay to do that.

J said after class that when she called on me he thought, “Here we go. Step back!” Whatever. I just wanted the guys to realize that God isn't just there for our gratefulness. He knows life sometimes stinks and it's okay to let that out too.

Then J and I went to “big church” as he calls it. The sermon was great – talking about how Hope is stronger than memory and we need to keep looking forward and not get sucked into the past. The message was very fitting for both J&I at this point in our lives. We were very contemplative during lunch and our conversation really centered around these points. It's nice to have someone to talk to about it all.

But now he's – hopefully – on the phone with his sister working out that side of things too.

No comments: