09 October 2008

Here I go...

I love flying. When I was younger I really, really, really wanted to be a pilot (partly because I thought it would be cool but also because my dad wanted to be one when he was in the Air Force, but he couldn't because of a heart murmur).

But alas, I'm fairly blind - well, VERY hard of seeing. In fact if I don't have my contacts in, "clear" is when something is 4-5 inches from my face.

So I'm stuck to flying commercially, and there's nothing wrong with that. I know many pilots and I trust them.

My favorite part is during take off. Once you're on the runway, gliding down toward the end you have no way out. the adrenaline and anticipation is high. I can feel the pressure of the intense, increasing speed pressing me back into the seat, and there's the inching closer and closer to that momentary lift where you're lifted slowly off your seat and the entire plane relinquishes its hold on the ground. The silence is almost deafening as the wheels stop rolling and are free to spin in the air until they are pulled back into their safety hold.

I love that feeling. The rest of flying is...well okay. I mean if you're in an F-16 or something that's a little different. But commercial flying - the take off is great.

No comments: