26 October 2008

Happy Anniversary to me.

Yesterday was the last day of 12 years of my service in the military. Today begins year 13. Wow...

It's hard to believe how quickly the years have passed by. It's insane. I feel like I was at BMT not a couple years ago, and yet it feels like a lifetime ago, too.

Over the years I have a had a lot of great memories - some bad ones, too, but mostly great.

I didn't go on an actual deployment until late 2002. I had been in 6 years by then, which seems really late for someone to be traveling for the first time (especially when that's one of the kicks they use to get people to join: "Travel the world!"). But that was when I met J, bought my awesome rug that's in my apartment, and found my ring I wear all the time.

It'd be another 18 months before I traveled again - this time to a war-torn country, but where we were...sigh...it was beautiful. The people there were amazing to work with and I had some great times sitting by the bonfire every night, hanging out with Scott and Shawn. What an amazing trip and I will never forget it. (Of course, one of the worst things in my career happened during this trip too, but, oh well...what do you do?)

Then another two years later I went on my awesome trip to Alaska. This was by far my best deployment ever. The other locations were phenomenal and I got to meet and hang out with incredible people, but Alaska provided me the opportunity to deploy for my actual job and get to work with two amazing guys and a great active duty shop. I have a framed memory of it in my office and every day I look at it and reminisce.

And now I'm working the best job ever, though I don't get to travel anymore (despite my best attempts over the last year). I have 8-27 years left and I can't wait to see what's in store for me. The last 12 have been amazing.

1 comment:

Erik G said...

congrats!!! that is a long time, good for you, good luck on the next 8-27 years...;-)