30 October 2008

Dinger

Holy crap...will this week ever end? It needs to be over and yet it can't be yet because I'm so far behind on so much that I have to have done before Saturday am. Ugh.

My body still aches, my head decided to join in this morning right behind my eyeballs (probably because I actually put my contacts in today and then spent hours in front of a computer screen presumably not blinking). I didn't get a run in again which is so not good for my health or psyche.

But one good thing did happen. I got to see Dinger. Dinger retired from my workplace a few years back but not before we got to go on a work trip together - my first in fact. He kind of took me under his wing then and helped me through it all. If he was still working there today I probably would have picked him as my mentor instead of Mungie Boy (Shhh...don't tell Mungie Boy!).

It was kind of nice how I ran into him today. I was walking back from checking mail and venting with Mungie. I had my head down as I was trying to think through so many details of crap I have to get done. As I walked by a truck I hear, "You're still the best looking woman at this place."

I grinned with chagrin and turned to correct the person, as I usually do, but when I realized it was Dinger my grin turned into a full-fleged smile and I said, "Aw, Dinger, I miss you."

We chatted for awhile. He had been there when I first met J eons ago and so I had to fill him in that J and I reconnected. He commented again that it was really good I got on full-time at work because, as he said, "you're the best thing that's happened to this base and it's good you're here."

God I hope that's true. Some days I just don't know and I struggle to find my place. Other days I coast on by thinking, "yeah, this works." And yet other days I'm totally in my element.

This week I'm not sure which category I fit in. But it's still good to hear that someone appreciates me. I need that. Yesterday, just before our monthly meeting, Scotty came in and was talking to the chief when TimDon said, "Moe needs a hug." Everyone in the room laughed but Scott said, "Do you need a hug?" I said, "Yes, I do." So he held his arms out and said, "Come here girl." It was short and sweet and so against the rules but it helped.

I miss hugs. I miss being able to walk down a hallway and see a friend and know that you can hug them at will.

Maybe I'm just missing my friends. I don't know. Maybe I just need sleep. I think I'll try that first.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Sleep = good. I"m on my way there now. That's cool that you got to see your friend.

Karen Elizabeth said...

yay! I need friends!