21 October 2008

Uh oh...

I have a problem.

"Only one?" you may be asking yourself and yes, I only have one - at the moment.

Okay, well...really, it's two, but they go hand-in-hand.

See, I'm a reader. I like to read books. I especially like to read book series' because the story doesn't end right away and there's always something to look forward to.

My problem is that I'm reading the Twilight series and I've just finished book 2: New Moon, so I want to start book three.

The problem is that I can't find it in paperback. "Read it in hardcover!" you say.

Well...there's the crux of my problem.

Once I start a series I have to finish it the same way. So when I started the Harry Potter series in hardcover, I had to read every book in hardcover. When I was reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, I started it in paperback. I have been stymied since book 4 because my mom got it for me in hardcover for Christmas and I didn't have the heart to exchange it...so I've never continued reading the series (much to my dismay). And the Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin is in paperback for me...so I'm patiently awaiting book 5 (though I'll need to reread books 1-4 because it's been so long I have no idea what happened when anymore.

So now, Debbie got me hooked on the Twilight saga and it's fabulous. I got book 2 yesterday afternoon and I just finished it tonight. It has taken over my world. At noon I logged onto Amazon and B&N to see if I could find paperbacks for 3 and 4, but no...there are none to be found...yet.

This is not good. I need to know what happens but I just can't read it in hardcover! It doesn't have the same feel, the same sound, the same texture when you switch mediums - at least it doesn't for me.

So I'm sad now. And will have to suffer the weight of my burden alone.

2 comments:

Baritonality said...

yes you are nuts.
I can "read" a series in anything, but I, like you (I assume), cannot look at a bookshelf with 2 paperbacks from a series, then a hardcover, then a trade-paperback. It drives me nuts. So if I am buying the series, I need to have them all the same.

So, even though you are nuts, I feel your pain.

~moe~ said...

That is a big part of it. If the series doesn't match it doesn't look right. But I really can't read a series in different mediums. I've tried and it loses it's appeal and I get turned off. It's sad.

But thank you for helping me feel less alone in the world. :)