24 October 2008

Treats for you...or them

There is a great benefit to where I work, one in that I can bake anytime I want to and I know whatever I bake will get eaten.

A few years back at my old job I came up with the idea for the Staff committee to make thank you bags of goodies for the staff members on Valentine's Day. I hate V-day, mind you, so I was trying to find some way to make it better.

Mom had come up to visit that weekend for some reason and helped me bake low-fat, low-sugar sugar cookies and then we frosted them and wrapped them in cellophane (mr. cellophane...coulda been my name...mr. cellophane).

I took these and a bunch of other candy and gifts (erasers, pencils, mini-post-its, etc.) and we put them in baggies with a sticker that said something like, "Thank you for all the great things you do. We appreciate you." Something like that.

Well, after we handed them out I got a few comments about how "we don't need sugar and candy, we just need a thank you." My thought was initially, "Then talk to your supervisor." Then I realized they probably couldn't but hopefully the supervisors who also received these realized that Thanks are important and people need to feel appreciated in what they do.

Whatever. The fun thing is that now I'm in a place where I can bake every day if I wanted and people would appreciate and eat my baking (without muttering too much that they don't need it).

I don't bake every day, but it is nice to be wanted. I have a few requests for cookies and to be fair it has been awhile since I baked cookies. So maybe I'll bake a few this weekend and drop some dozens off to various people around work. It might be time.

Plus cookies and treats always put a smile on my face (baking them, that is) and seem to put a smile on the face of those who receive them. And God knows that at our place of work, we need a few more smiles.

No comments: