01 March 2008

When did that happen?

It's March? Seriously? Wow...I didn't see that coming.

Today was a nice work day. We had a prayer breakfast this morning and the area bishop came to speak. He was pretty cool - former military, former protestant, Vietnam vet. He had a story about a guy who was always happy and someone asked him why he wasn't ever stressed. He said that when he was in one of the world wars and bullets were flying over his head - then his stress was at a 10...day to day, it's barely a 2.

That made me think about situations in my life. The last few days have felt pretty stressful, but when you put it that respect - getting shot at versus having to write articles/layout the paper/do all my other tasks and apparently other peoples tasks since they can't (or won't) - it makes my life seem pretty pathetic when I stress out over things.

I try not to. I try to keep things in perspective. Most things in life are not life-threatening, so why do I make so much about all these things. Why can't I just be happy and do it?

Again, it's a perspective thing.

After the prayer breakfast, I hung out with a lawyer talking about different situations and problems going on at work. Then I got to revert to my past for awhile and worked in PA. At one point I got a little annoyed. I was trying to work on an article with the head dude and one of the co-workers came in and they started talking about nonsense...in fact I completely missed what they were talking about but it was clearly not work related. I muttered to the girl next to me, "And this is why the paper doesn't get finished on weekends." Suddenly the head dude realized what they were doing and wisely said, "You're right. We'll talk about that at lunch." Thank you!

The rest of the day flowed by pretty effortlessly and stress free - until the end when another co-worker in a smaller section asked me about a letter he had asked me to format for him 3 weeks ago. I had sent it back to him then both to his home and his work address. He sends me an email today, "Where are we with the letter?" uh, hello - I sent it to you! So I found it again, luckily, and sent it back. He immediately calls me and says this:

Him: I'm going to add one line and then it'll be good to go.
Me: okay...(in my head: whatever)
Him: So you'll print it and get your boss to sign it and then I'll come over and sign it.
Me: Yes, I can do that but not right now. I have to go to a meeting.
Him: That's fine, just so it gets done this weekend. But then you'll send that on for us?
Me: Uh, no. That's up to you to mail it.
Him: Well, don't you have the address for it?
Me: (I don't even know what this letter is for!) No, I don't. I don't know who gets this. It's your nomination letter. Don't you have it?
Him: Well, I guess I'll do some searching for it.
Me: (yeah, dumbass you do that) Okay.

So I think it's all taken care of. I'll get the letter, print it, get my boss to sign it and I'll hand it over to the guy tomorrow. Well I get back from my meeting and the guy had sent me not only the new letter, but the address as well. GRRRR. I know he's expecting that I'll mail it. But when did I become secretary for this guy? He already has two assistants and the nomination is for one of them. Why doesn't he mail it? Don't they know how to type up their own envelope?

My only consolation in all of this is that he'll soon be gone and I won't have to deal with him anymore. This isn't the first time he's handed me things he should be doing and expecting me to do them. It drives me nuts because I have enough to do!

Here we go back to the stress thing, and matters of perspective. ugh.

1 comment:

KJ said...

I've so been there with work situations. It IS stressful to deal with dumf*&#$ who take advantage. I've been there both as an employee and a boss - you really have to just keep giving people's work back to them. Just say no - and give their job back to them in as nice a way as possible. I got real good at saying, with a smile, "Sorry, this actually isn't something I can do - my superior really needs me to (fill in the blank)" or "Sorry, I can't do that because I have so much of my own work to do." Helps a lot with the stress.