30 March 2008

List 30

I'm making a plan, and to make a plan you need to make a list. So here's my list. But first my plan.

I stupidly signed up for a marathon that happens in 6 weeks. I signed up back when I was on my marathon high and now I really want to see if I can complete it. RW tells me I shouldn't even attempt it but if I'm going to then I should plan to run conservatively. I do that anyway so maybe I'll be okay.

But to make this happen I need to get into a zone and I need a game plan. So here we go:
  • Sundays: Long run day; Wash clothes, iron uniform, shine boots and pack up work stuff for work - i.e. shirts, socks, undies. Also set up second set of running gear - socks, bra, shorts, tees, purple shoes, undies; measure out Endurox and Accelerade for week
  • Mondays: Off day (maybe); groceries; Take uniform, boots and stuff to work and pack in locker. Also take extra workout gear sets; Also take Endurox and Accelerade (and bottles); Make hard boiled eggs for breakfast for week; Make lunch for next day (repeat each night); Pack jeans and shoes to go home in.
  • Workday mornings: Get up at 5 - contacts, pull hair back, get into workout gear, grab lunch; be at work at 5:30 to run back road and run 20 minutes out and back; at 6:20 head in to shower and get ready for work, be at work at 6:45 - eat eggs and bagel
  • Workday middays: Change into second set and either run or do cross-training - 30 minutes out and 30 minutes back; shower and eat lunch.
  • End of Workday: pack up both sets of icky clothes, change into jeans leaving uniform there for next day
  • Evenings: make lunch for next day, do laundry as needed, and pack to return the next day
  • Saturdays: Medium run, some cross training, begin planning for the next week
I know this seems insane, but for 6 weeks I think I can do it. Looking ahead I have two conference conflicts but I think I can still get my runs in - maybe not quite as intense but those can be kind of rest days.

The odd thing is, I really like running at noon, but I used to really love running in the mornings. With the former it broke up the day, I was able to de-stress for awhile and then face the rest of the day with a fresh look. But with the latter, I can start my day with exercise, fresh air and clear my head to start the day. Plus I can get in at least one workout for the day just in case something comes up and the nooner falls apart. Lord knows at the end of the day I don't want to do anything (though I do like evening runs sometimes too - clear my head of the troubles of the day and go to bed with an empty mind, though some say I usually do have an empty mind).

So I'm going to try this this week. Tomorrow I'm going to clean up my locker and put in the stuff I'll need and get ready. Tuesday morning (knock on wood) I'll be running at 5:30 am.

Here's hoping.

2 comments:

jb said...

lady -- i know you're going to do whatever you want :) but let me caution you about overtraining ... especially if you haven't been running consistently up until this point. you have just enough time before the marathon to suffer a severe overtraining injury (remember my IT band injury?) that will knock you out from the entire race. be careful ...

~moe~ said...

Don't worry JB, knowing me I'll make it this week and then it'll all go to hell. My plans usually do. And even if I can get it to work I'll probably only make the morning run because lately my lunches have been insanely busy and I don't forsee that changing anytime soon. So really I'll be at one run a day - in the AMs instead of later - and then weekends.

I do remember your IT injury but I also recall you had a hottie for a PT. :) Ah, the suffering we go through...