25 March 2008

You crazy ho-arder

I light of yesterday's list, this article that Chad sent me today makes me really nervous. The article talks about how hoarding is a brain function or abnormal function or something. It seems like our brains have adapted to cause this problem in people - though it doesn't say if it's hereditary or not. I think my grandma had this and my aunt and possibly my mom. Can this be passed on like bad genes?

I'm not a complete hoarder, but I could easily see myself become one. I don't seem to get rid of things as well as I would like. I have receipts from purchases that I've kept because I was told once that if you itemize everything you could get a tax write off on the sales tax. I don't know if it's true or not because last year when I turned in my spreadsheet with everything itemized my tax guy said it wouldn't help so I didn't even try to turn them in this year even though I still kept every receipt from every purchase.

So now I'm still keeping every receipt and I'm wondering why? I'm meeting with him next week so hopefully I can find out the truth on it. But why am I keeping all this other stuff?

It is the time of Discardia and it lasts until the 5th so I still have time to do something about this. Wish me luck. I don't want to be a hoarder even if it is a brain function.

1 comment:

KJ said...

Oh My GAWD. Puh leeze. I think all that "brain disorder" crap, giving a label to every human quirk, is just total BS. Once it has a name, they can give you a drug for it. And once it has a name, a person feels like they are a victim of some "disease" or "genetic disorder", rather than just being someone who - hello - has some bad habits which they can decide to change. So then we get a nation of victims sitting around swallowing pills and STILL having our quirks, only having them through a drug-induced haze now. Its all so much crap.