21 March 2008

Eating disorder

A few weeks ago I made a conscious decision to not eat out as often. For awhile I was eating out for lunch almost every work day, and then weekends I'd run errands and do the same thing. It was taking its toll on not only my pocketbook but my waistline as well.

So I stopped. Not entirely but not as often. And that's a good thing. I'm proud of myself for not eating out all the freaking time. But now I have a bigger problem. I'm not eating very well at all.

In the last few days the only real 'meal' I've had has been odd things - Tuesday and Wednesday night I had Manwich (I'd been craving it for some stupid reason). Then Thursday for lunch we had a chili party for a guy who's retiring. And this afternoon I finished up the Manwich. Joy. Any other meal has been popcorn (Dale&Thomas or air-popped) or nothing.

First off, this is way more red meat than I normally eat in two months, let alone a week. I'm a chicken girl (I've told my co-workers after a bird flu seminar that they better take care of themselves because most likely I'll be the first to die from it since all I eat is chicken). Second, the popcorn thing is not a good thing. It's not horrible for me but it's not good either.

It sucks cooking for one. I like to cook but doing it for one means either your eating frozen dinners because those are preportioned for one person, or you're making a normal meal but then eating leftovers all week (hence the Manwich). I've tried making meals and then freezing the extras to eat later, but I end up forgetting about them and then they get freezer burn and that's a waste too.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't go back to all fast food all the time. I suppose I could hit the SB meals again like I used to, but that gets old too. I just need to take the time to actually cook, I guess. And suck it up and eat the leftovers.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have a hard time w/ leftovers too. I'm working on it. But, it's not easy. I've found that I end up eating a lot of sandwiches because I've been attempting this same thing of not eating out as much. It's hard! I hear you loud and clear.

CindaRu and Dustin Too! said...

I am actually thinking about going frozen intentionally. there is a book called frozen assets and you cook for a month in two days. Now, my thought is because it is for a family of four i will cook for two weeks and be able to feed two of us for a month. This will only cover suppers (or dinners) whichever work you use. But it is supposed to save you money and make things healthier. My thought is, you could put stuff together in individual portions, or if you made it for two people, you would only have leftovers for one day and you could bring it with you for lunch at work the next day. Or if you are hungry, eat it all the night before. (Sometimes we are hungry like that) I will look for the book and email you an amazon link. A friend of mine swears by it.
It might get you on the right track, even for awhile. Or at least you would have stuff stored appropriately for the freezer adn it would be there when you needed it.