27 March 2008

Anger Management

I may have made a mistake Tuesday afternoon.

Last week after I got my thank you gift from the VIP who visited, my mentor and I were talking about the day. He commented that since he helped me (somewhat with the lunch) that he should get to share the gift since he didn't get one of his own. I, being the fair person that I am, agreed and we determined I'd have it that week and this week he'd have it. Then we'd just keep switching off until he retired or we forgot about it.

Tuesday afternoon I ran over to his office to deliver the gift. It gathers fingerprints easily and I didn't have a good case for it yet so I wrapped it in a paper towel and took over to him. It's fairly small but it does have a little weight to it. He was talking with someone else so I just set it, still wrapped in the PT, on his desk. He tried to give it back but I insisted we share it because that's what we had agreed to.

Yesterday morning our mutual friend, RRR, called and I told him to call my mentor and ask him about the gift "he" got. Soon my mentor called me.

"You took back your gift, didn't you?"

"No, didn't you tell RRR about it?"

"Well he started talking on and on and I thought he was talking about my own version of it (he actually has one of his own that he gives out to other people) so I started describing that. RRR got confused and I got confused until he said that it was the one I was given. So I had to correct him but that got me wondering what you did with it."

"I left it on your desk while you were talking to Chad. It was wrapped in the paper towel so it wouldn't get smudged."

"Oh, no."

"You didn't throw it away did you?"

"I didn't but I think someone else did. I'm going to have to go through the trash."

This continued all day long. I kept laughing about it because knowing him he would tease me about this and then suddenly hand it to me when I least expected it. And really, if he did throw it away, it's not the end of the world. Granted it would have been nice to have it longer than a week, but still. It's just a gift.

Well, my mentor kept asking me if I was angry. I kept saying no. And then he asked me, "Do you ever get mad? I've never seen you mad." He determined that I wouldn't get mad, but I'd get hurt - having hurt feelings and all since I'm so sensitive, but I wouldn't get mad.

It got me thinking, because I don't know that I've ever really been hands down, voice raised, pissed off, yelling mad. I vent, and my voice goes up at times, but I don't know if I've ever really been mad. I just don't get mad. Life's too short to really get ticked off.

Of course friends who have heard me talking on occasion during rush hour traffic in the cities or any traffic in this town would disagree. But even then I yell out once and then I laugh about it.

Anyway, here's an interesting story about anger. I wonder if not getting angry is a bad thing too. Maybe I'm just so lazy I don't want to exert the energy it takes to get pissed off. Or maybe I'm just really that mellow.

All without yoga. :)

And I still don't know if he found the gift or not. I guess I'll have to wait that one out.

1 comment:

KJ said...

Just get married. That ought to cure you of wondering whether you can get mad. har har.