11 March 2008

Ah, sweet necter of the gods

Have you ever given anything up (like maybe for Lent?) and then when you reintroduced it back into your life it was just as good, if not better, than the first time?

That was my feeling today. I haven't been really running or focused on running and training for awhile (much to my detriment since the Brookings Marathon is 59 days away and probably too close to really train for anymore but we'll see how I do). "Today it's creeping into the 40s and I can't not go run at lunch," I thought to myself. So I planned accordingly. I needed to open the windows in my apartment (need.fresh.air!) so I drove to my apartment, opened the windows, changed to run and went out for a short one.

But before that...yes, before that moment I prepped as I used to last year.

I drank Accelerade.

*sigh*

Now, I know I'm weird to get all excited about a sports performance drink, especially one that some say is chalky and others gritty (I've never really found that to be true). But this drink took me back to last summer where I'd down this before heading out to run. I'd be shaking it up in prep for my lunch run and Larry would laugh and call me Lance as I headed out. It was also what I had in my fuel belt during the marathon and truly the only reason I made it to the end. The orange taste got me excited to go run, even though I was going alone (this not having a running buddy anymore really sucks), and adding the sweet fresh air of spring was invigorating. And what's even better, is I got to follow it up with fruit punch Endurox. Much needed since my muscles were sore from not having run much lately.

*sigh* again

It's crazy the little things that can take you back. And of all things - orange Accelerade. Maybe I'm the one who's crazy.

And maybe, just maybe I can push myself hard enough to make the Brookings marathon. I hope so. It's one I want to run, but I'm a little nervous.

No comments: