17 March 2008

Let them eat cake!

It's not surprise to those who know and love me, and even a few of those who don't, that I'm not a big fan of cake. That is, of course, except for Angel Food Cake. I loves me some Angel Food Cake - with confetti candy sprinkles.

I only have AFC once or twice a year but my pan has got rusty throughout the years of use and the multiple moves where it stayed in a box for the last 8 years. So I bought a new one.

Charles & Marie had this cake mold on their site a few weeks ago. I've never tried a silicone pan of any kind but this one intrigued me. It came in the mail last week and today I attempted an AFC in it. It turned out surprisingly well - though I should have baked it a bit longer.

This pic is what my cake looked like coming out of the oven. I love that it's wider than a normal AFC pan. My favorite part is this part here - the crunchy part. Again, I should have baked it a bit longer but it turned out okay. And it only flowed over the middle section which wasn't too bad.

This is what the cake pan looks like. Don't you love that it's portioned out into different size slices? I love this concept! Plus, I don't have an electric knife so this helped a lot with my little serrated knife that I do have. You can see here how it kind of flowed over in the middle.

Here's what it looks like out of the pan. Now, here's the difference. The pan directions say to let it cool for 5 minutes before twisting the cake out. The AFC directions say to let it cool on a pop bottle until it's completely cooled. I'll have to play with this one a bit. I went with the pan option so we'll see how it settles. I don't think I could balance this on a pop bottle, but I could let it sit upside down longer. I don't know how that will play with the removal from the pan.

Anyway, it's still tasty. Yay, cake!

No comments: