22 March 2008

Back on the track

So I'm still alive.

I know most of you weren't too worried about that - maybe some of you were wishing I wouldn't be - but anyway, I'm still alive.

This morning I ran the St. Patty's 5K. Yes, I know it's not St. Patty's Day but it was snowing pretty bad here that day so they postponed the run to today. Funny, since this morning when I woke up it was snowing again!

The trail was a little slick but not bad. I paced myself behind two girls who ran the 5 miler 2 hours earlier. It worked out pretty well. I wasn't sure how it would go since I haven't been running since...well...October. Not truly, but not consistently since then. So I really figured I'd fall over by the time I hit the falls.

But I didn't! In fact, I didn't walk (it was a 5K run-walk) until the last corner, and then for only 20 feet or so. My lungs were getting tight but I forced myself to get running again since there wasn't much left of the course. My pace was 11:30 and I finished 35:44. Not bad for not having run at all lately. The girls really helped me. I didn't have my normal pacer this run. I tried listening to my iPod shuffle - music and Navy SEALS cadences - but those didn't really help other than background noise. Though they did block out my heavy breathing.

Anyway, it felt good to get out there again - and the rewards like hot showers and Endurox are always fun to enjoy after a good run. I'm really happy I didn't walk more than I did. I think if the girls hadn't been running in front of me I would have been walking a lot more. God bless them.

Oh and I did finish DAL. But whatever, at least I finished.

1 comment:

KJ said...

HEY!!! You did it!!! You finished!!!!
Well done!!!!

I posted all about YOU and YOUR MAGICAL GIFT today...