06 December 2008

Solo, Holiday

Crazy day again today (this seems to be a pattern lately?) though I did have 3 hours where I was able to just sit back and kind of do my work without a lot of stress. It was nice!

Of course then the afternoon hit and I skipped a meeting, skipped another both due to another meeting, then met the Governor, did a little ditty and then headed to the holiday party KC and I have been working on all week (and really since July).

The little ditty was the national anthem for a formal event we had this afternoon. I was a little nervous because I haven't done the solo gig in awhile (usually singing with the quartet instead). But it actually went really well. I was nervous I was going to forget the words, which is a downfall of overpracticing.

I was trying to find my starting note this afternoon before the event and if you've ever sang the anthem you understand there's an octave and a half you have to be able to hit. So I wanted to start low enough, but not too low, so I could be understood and still hit the high notes easily without screeching. I made it. :) But I practiced so much that I started to wonder if I was singing the right words in the right order, so I typed them up and clutched to them with all my might as I sang in front of the flag and 300 people. :) Nice.

Then it was holiday party time. It turned out really well and thankfully the mixed drinks were provided so I didn't have to pay for any of that (which was good since i had paid for all of the food we donated - hopefully to be reimbursed). I pleased a few of my co-workers when they discovered I was drinking rum and coke and not just diet coke. :) YAY! And believe me, I needed it.

Finally, though, I'm home and can go to sleep for awhile before I have to be back to work. I need sleep. It was a long day, though well-worth it.

No comments: