07 December 2008

Pearls

Another work day, still super busy, but less crazy than yesterday. We had a ceremony this afternoon where one of our leaders talked about Pearl Harbor and the significance of today and the events effects on our world. It choked me up a bit though I did hold it in. Of course Boss2, as he usually does, had to point out that he thought I was going to get all emotional on them. Thanks, Boss2.

I was supposed to go to a concert with my sister but when I called her an hour before I needed to leave she told me that her hubby was going to go with her instead so I could just do my work thing. This was fine, initially, because I decided I'd just go home and try to catch up on my rest.

But, as is typical of my life and timing, I was walking down the hall to my office and NW stopped me and said, "You're helping with the Children's Christmas Party, right?" Uh, I wasn't going to but I suppose I can. I am kind of on the committee so I felt a little obligated, especially when she added that the folks running the party didn't have any volunteers to help.

Great. So much for my quiet afternoon. But as is me, I jumped in full-swing. I took care of the prize table and helped the kids pick out the prizes. Then when we were starting to clean up I stacked all the chairs in groups of 6, as is preferred. Then I took down the tables and stacked them on the carts. A few people were helping out too, but we really could have used some extra help.

Then SW started vacuuming with Big Blue (our super huge industrial vacuum) and I felt guilty because he's one of our top dogs on base and he's vacuuming! Ugh. So I finally convinced him to go home and I'd finish up. Then one of the gals who had planned the party stood around watching me (because she didn't want to leave me alone, not that she was helping). So I sent her home too.

Uffda. Here I was not planning to help and I end up closing the place down. Oh well.

So I need to make a small batch of cookies for Keith as I'm heading up to see him so I can try to work out the stress from last week. I can't wait. Sleep will be mine soon.

No comments: