16 September 2008

Thoughts about work

I was thinking today at lunch, while I was working on a CBT, that I'm in a very different world that I used to be. Bear with me folks... I know the world is constantly changing but I'm talking about the one where I live and work every day - my life as I know it.

A few years back I was at a place where if someone left to get a new job, or to better themselves, it was seen as deserting and just an awful thing. Sometimes it was just sad and there were tears flowing and big parties when someone left. Now I'm at a place where people are constantly looking for that next new job, the new opportunity that will get them more money or new responsibilities or a new supervisor. This is a place where you are always looking up - how can I better myself. And it's encouraged!

I never felt that at my old job. I was in a position where I figured I'd be until either my supervisor left so I could move into her spot (and I ended up leaving before her) or something would come along and I'd move on. Eventually I took the steps to look for something else to better my life, something where I could find meaning again and help people. But it took me stepping forward and when I did I wondered what people thought as I left.

Of course when I left, I didn't make a big fuss. I'm kind of like Grissom in that way...I just wanted to slip out the door and not return. And I kind of did that considering the VP didn't send out a notice to anyone until the afternoon before my last day, though he had known for a couple weeks. A few people stopped by or sent emails, and that was all I really needed. I didn't want a bunch of people fawning about, or a big party with cake or whatnot that people only come to for the food. What I got were sincere goodbyes - people who really didn't want me to go and to those people I'm really sorry I left as I did. But I had to do it. If I had thought too much about it I probably would still be there.

What triggered this thought process is that a friend of mine out here got a new job. He'll be moving away as I did when I got my job. His supervisor is trying to plan a cake thing for him but sadly it has to be today or tomorrow, even though he's not done for another week and a half. But my friend is gone Thursday and Friday this week, house-hunting, and his supervisor is gone next week, so what do you do? That leaves today or tomorrow.

I'm excited for him - his new adventures and challenges ahead. A lot of people are now vying for his job because of the pay level and such. Right now I'm very content where I am, but I wonder if I should be keeping my eyes out more for my next step. I don't want to get lost in the shuffle by not applying for jobs and be stuck here forever, but I also don't want to be that gal who applies for so many jobs like I'm not happy where I am. Because I am happy - let's face it, you all know that I love my job. But sometimes I worry that I'm pigeon-holing myself.

Hopefully not.

No comments: