10 September 2008

A myriad of things

So yesterday I didn't have much to say mostly because I was so tired by the time I got home that I just had some edamame, blogged and crashed. It was nice.

But today was another crazy day. I got to work and took off running. We had our usual Wednesday meeting which went very well. Then Boss1 and I headed to a seminar where a bunch of state and local officials were doing a table talk/top (I always forget which it's really called) exercise of sorts which ran all day.

This was really interesting and vital for me. I usually work with media as a secondary portion of my job, mostly because I used to do this a long time ago, and so the exercise was really beneficial for me.

The exercise basically went in a non-linear form of what various agencies would do in the event of a bomb threat and an explosion at a specific location in our city. How would various elements respond? What would they do first? Is that the right plan or are there other options? Who gets tasked? Why? How? When?

So working with media has been interesting. My workplace for a long time has been anti-media. Meaning, "we're just doing our job, people don't need to know what it is we do." This is not the best approach. And many have also seen media as a threat, not an asset we can use to our benefit.

Today's exercise, thanks Mr. Smith, was great in that we were drawn out on what would we do. The bad thing was that I wanted to start from the beginning (which was what Mr. Smith wanted us to do) so I said that most likely the media are going to know more about what's happening than we will because they'll be tracing 911 calls and following scanners and probably will show up on our doorstep before we even have a clear view of the situation. The problem was, as I was trying to explain this, was that people were jumping forward in the scenario - farther than I had explained - and were discrediting me.

The good thing about all of this was that it made many of my higher ups much more aware of how we can be utilized. We're still not completely up there, but we're a lot closer than we were yesterday. And I was able to make contacts with a couple people in town who are also on the public information team so that's very helpful for the future.

So that was most of my day - working through this exercise. That left about two hours in the actual workday. I used one to talk through all my CBTs with my trainer, and she actually relinquished my requirements of the majority of them, saying I need to complete them eventually but my deadline isn't quite so pressing with those as I thought. So I'm down to only four or five CBTs I need to finish before our work weekend. Then my requirements should be filled, I can get signed off and all will be well!

The last hour I used to start projects. Yes, start, I said. I ended up working until 7:15 again tonight. I needed to get some major things accomplished so tomorrow won't be quite so hectic. Tomorrow the exercise continues with another scenario, so that day will be shot too.

The funny part was when Boss1 came through my office and knocked on my desk. I said, "'sup?" He smiled, shut my light off, and said, "Time to go home, Moe!" Hahaha. Then he smiled and turned it back on, knowing full well I'd be staying late.

The only bad part today was when Boss2 came in and asked if I was going over to our on site adult-beverage facility (let's call it a club to be simple). See, the exercise was having a little social hour thing for all the participants. Well, I had work to do so when he asked I said, "No." He said, "You really are anti-social, aren't you?"

Grr. I don't see this as being anti-social. First, I don't drink that often and people really look at you funny if you go to the club and don't drink. Second, the social was stupid since the exercise had ended 2 hours prior and I know very few people were going to stop over if they were going to have to buy their own drinks. Third, why do I have to go to the club to be considered social? Can't I just be me and work well with people at work?

I'm not a big fan of socializing with people I work with outside of the workplace. Does that make sense? I really prefer to keep work at work and everything else separate. Plus I spend enough time at work, I don't need to be drinking with them too. That's just me though. Besides, I do socialize with work people, but on MY terms not on theirs. We play Bunco once a month; I help with the family group; I occasionally go out to lunch with people.

Anyway, I'm home tonight, doing laundry and figuring out what I need to finish up for CBTs before I head to bed. Tomorrow will be an early morning and a long night, so I think I better go before I type too much.

No comments: