29 September 2008

Dominating the airwaves

The other night I was on the phone with a friend and flipping channels while we chatted, as I usually do just in case our conversation hits a lull then I can talk about whatever I'm watching. My friend was watching Tru TV. I landed on PBS.

Luckily this was a good move. My friend G-man started a jazz ensemble which totally kicks ass. Dominant 7 (get it? ... well, music people would) is incredible and they had a concert televised on PBS. It was so awesome.

G-man was married to my friend N - actually I became friends with N because of G-man. He was teaching at my university my senior year, met me and said I needed to meet his wife. Actually, I believe we met when he came up to me and said, "You cut your hair. Why did you do that?" (I had taken off an inch - but it was pretty funny).

Anyway, G-man, N and I became good friends. They had newborn twin boys so I'd go over and help her with them. I totally fell in love with those boys. They were (are) adorable.

Well, the other night with this concert, G-man had the boys come up and play with the band. I'm not sure how many pre-teens can say they've played with a jazz ensemble, but they kicked butt. One was on drums, the other on trumpet and truly they played better than some music majors I went to school with.

It was fun to see them. And they really do kick ass. If you like jazz and/or trumpets, check out their CD. That would be the band's CD, not the boys. Theirs is in the works, I'm sure.

No comments: