28 September 2008

But it is fall...

In another one of my great procrastination methods I got back into my knitting tonight. I have two separate baby blankets started and I really want to get them done, but in typing that I just realized I have two more PIF projects to start and finish before November. So I'm going to have to put these aside and start those tomorrow instead.

I shouldn't be knitting. I should be cleaning my house. For one, it's a mess. For two, I'm going to be pretty swamped until about the middle of October with a couple trips in the middle of that time frame. I hate coming home from a trip to a messy house so i really should be cleaning it up now. At least I still have tomorrow off so I can do a bunch then (even though I have a whole list of things I have to complete tomorrow already).

But today was good. I went to church and my "adopted*" parents, J&W, came and sat by me. That was fun, even though I really do like to worship alone most of the time. Big O was gone so Lon asked if I'd help serve communion. That was fun too since I haven't done that in a couple years. It's kind of energizing (that's not the right word but I can't think of it) to present the Body of Christ to someone. There were a few who wouldn't even look at me, a few who just took it like it was a chore or habit, and one guy who really stood out. He looked a little down on his luck (assuming here based on appearances which I totally should not be doing) and when I handed him the wafer and declared to him that it was the Body of Christ, given for HIM, he seemed to be very moved and touched. That meant a lot to me.

Communion has always been important to me. It's not just something that I have to do, because I don't, but it's such an amazing gift - one I just get to receive. No questions asked...it's just there for me (and you!). It's very powerful and moving.

Anyway, I came home and vegged and napped. A friend of mine and I talked til 12:30 last night and I was awake at 6:30 so I needed a little extra sleep. Then my sister and I got together for a movie and dinner.

This was fun. I rarely get to spend time with my sister - just the two of us. Usually mom's along or my niece. Not that that's bad, but it's nice to be able to just hang out with L. She and I didn't always get along, especially since she's 12 years older than I am and for the longest time I was a burden. She had to watch me when mom and dad went out (before she left for college), she had to walk me to school. I was the annoying little sister who tagged along and drove her nuts. For the longest time we didn't have anything in common.

That's changed in recent years and it's been really great to be able to have an adult relationship - where she and I can talk about anything and trust one another. She's currently holding one of my secrets and it's been really nice to be able to just share it with her.

Lalala...we went to see Burn After Reading, which wasn't quite what I expected but I did enjoy it. I don't think it's one I'll buy to watch again as I usually do, but I did find it quite pleasant. The chair was very interesting. :) Then we went out to eat at Granite City which is one of my favorite places.

All in all, a very nice Sunday. Though I should have gone running. Tomorrow it's a MUST!

*Adopted parents are not literally adopted. I often "adopted" my friends parents as my own, calling them mom and dad. J&W are parents from a high school friend. Kind of like Connie and Dan are my "parents" as parents of Tre.

No comments: