06 September 2008

Decisions, Decisions

So I'm going on a trip in a month and I have to determine my mode o' transportation.

Initially I was planning to fly and my friend and I talked it out with possible timing and such but nothing was set in stone so I hadn't booked anything.

As I get closer to the deadline to book a flight (30-day window, according to Boss1 who travels all the time so he knows) I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better and cheaper to just drive.

My friend lives 15 hours away, via car according to Mapquest. With my car's awesome gas mileage I could potentially go round trip driving for only $250.

Flying, however, the cheapest into an airport 3 hours away from my final destination is $279 and then rental car on that (because I don't think it's completely fair to expect my friend to drive 3 hours to pick me up) for $185 or $470ish. If I fly into my friend's towns airport then it's $430 but I'm also spending all freakin' day in the airport or on a plane anyway. Which is why if I'm going to spend all day traveling I might as well do it in my car, which I love, and I can go at my own pace and not have to worry about checking luggage or packing or other travelers (I'm not always a happy traveler).

But the cost and sitting all day doesn't sound that great either. And if I just fly into my friend's town then I wouldn't have to do that.

The bonus to having my own car, or renting one if I fly into the other city, would be if we get annoyed with each other I'm not stuck staying there the entire length of the trip. I could leave early if need be. Not that I'm really planning on this but it's good to have a contingency plan.

The other good thing with driving down, I could bring my baking gear so I can bake the pumpkin pie I promised.

I don't know. I should talk it through with my friend but we haven't been able to connect lately. Maybe tomorrow. Hopefully tomorrow so I can get my ticket purchased if I'm going to.

There you go, another rambling, random post for a Saturday.

On an unrelated note...apparently the street outside my apartment is THE place to party on weekend nights. There's quite a gathering outside again. Joy.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

oh decisions, decisions, how I hate them. Whatever you choose I am sure it will work out wonderfully. Although the more you wrote the more I was thinking that the driving might be your best bet. I always like options and I think that give you the most options and wiggle room.