04 September 2008

Stressing

Okay, so I'm supposed to meet with Keith - my awesome trainer and massage therapist - on Monday to help me determine where I am for the marathon which is coming up in a month.

Talking with E last week, who graciously ran it with me last year but proved his higher intelligence once again by not signing up this year, he advised me to go to the marathon and at least run the half and if I'm not doing well at that point, then drop out. But at least run the half. I've already paid the money to go, so why not?

I feel like I'm dropping on my commitments this year - or I've over committed myself so much that life is catching up with me. Like Chad and I talked about today, I shouldn't have signed up this year because I knew that I didn't have a consistent running partner to keep me motivated, I would be traveling a LOT this year, and not just for weekends but weeks at a time, and running would take a back seat to all this because it always seems to in my world, for some stupid reason. (And stupid it is because I love running when I do it...it's just getting out to do it without a motivator is hard).

But I'm wondering if me going to see Keith on Monday is just going to be a waste of his time. And I don't want to waste his time. I know it'll benefit me, but I don't want to waste Keith's time. He actually has some value to his life whereas mine is just work and knitting.

I've been struggling with getting my runs in lately. And when I do get out to run it's been taking me 30 minutes to warm up, which wouldn't be a big deal if I had more than 30 minutes to run in the morning or at noon. And by the time night comes around, like tonight for instance, I don't get home until 7 and I'm starving so supper becomes essential, which means running is non-existent because by the time my tummy is settled it's after 8 and it's dark and unsafe in my neighborhood.

So I'm worried - not only that Keith will be wasting his time with me, but also that I'm deluding myself that I can even attempt to run half a marathon. Lamar told me today it's all a mental game. It is, right? So maybe I just need more motivation for my mental game. Any advice?

3 comments:

KJ said...

Wow, I've missed a lot here! I'm only reading the current page to keep up... for now... but just wanted to say hi! I'm back! Hope you sort out what the best thing to do is with your trainer and the marathon. It should be fun - maybe you can find a way to make it fun and not stressful. Can you do half of it if you don't run the whole thing? So you do something and don't feel like you just flaked out on yourself? Just don't hurt yourself if you know you aren't prepared for it.

Anonymous said...

My husband is running the Athens Marathon in October. He is the slowest of the group, but he keeps at it. There's about 10 participating. He says he'll just be happy to cross the finish line.

My hubby is taking glucosamine chondroitin to help with his joints. He says that he has a hard time warming up, too. Said this stuff has been helping his joints...it's a little pricey, but might help you!

Good luck :)

Baritonality said...

Moe. Stop.

Keith's life has the same amount of meaning, it's just different. It sounds like his meaning (or one of them) is helping you out. Let him. Do not hinder him from his calling. OK?

Look, you may have over-committed, but it's OK. You can learn and maybe Keith will help you with this.

You can get a half in with a month of training. I know you can. I'll be on route to cheer you on, OK? I promise.