31 August 2008

The things I have forgotten...

- Why I love Guinness over all others. I enjoyed a Guinness tonight for the first time in months. I'm not a big drinker anymore. I used to drink more often - rum and cokes, wine, cheap beer, Guinness, etc. - but I just don't. It's not that I don't enjoy the occasional drink, it's just if I'm given an option of taking it or leaving it, I usually leave it and choose another option. I'm not sure why I do this, or what changed my thinking. That's a dilemma in itself.

- Some of my theology. This past week a few different conversations have triggered some thoughts and questions in my head. One was this: I was riding with two of my friends who are very Christian; one (female) is going to a local seminary to be a chaplain, the other (male) is a born-again who I'm not sure I realized how into Christianity he was until we were driving and he had on the Christian rock station (not that this means much but it helped solidify the conversations I had had with the former person about his beliefs).

Anyway, as we were driving the guy is pointing out landmarks and said, "That's the road that leads to [local scrap metal and parts dealer]. But I don't go there anymore because they have made me mad too often." The girl said, "You know they are Christian." And he replied, "Just because the owners are, doesn't mean their workers are." But the whole while I wanted to ask, "What does that mean?" What did she mean by that statement: You know they are Christian. Does that set them apart from all the other dealers in the area? Does it make them better? What makes that significant? This isn't the first time she's used this phrase and it's not the first time it's confused me. I just don't follow her train of thought with that.

The other part was another conversation where we were talking about the Lutheran faith and I totally spaced on why communion is important. She was talking about how she likes the Calvin approach where communion is to lift us up. I cringed but couldn't figure out what I was thinking until today - I don't see communion as a way to lift us up to God, but as God's gift to us. Normally that would have just rolled off my tongue, but as my years away from the sem and kind of the church continue I'm forgetting some of the basics. I really need to get back to my catechism.

- There was another one for this list, but I can't remember it now. It'll come to me later, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Baritonality said...

About the theology paragraphs...
I knew this kid who worked in a Christian bookstore. He was complaining about his boss, then said, "You know, I hate to talk about another Christian in this way, but..." and unfortunately, I didn't have the wherewithal to say, "would you feel more comfortable bearing false witness if she was a Buddhist?"

Darn hindsight! Good luck with the study of the Catechism. I should look at that again, too.

Anonymous said...

I agree, communion is a gift, not to lift--I mean, it probably does that, too. But that's not the reason I partake. It's actually been a really long time since I've had communion (aside from Christmas Eve last year)

I miss going to church, but I don't like to go alone. My husband says he's agnostic.