16 August 2008

Okay, so ... wow.

Yesterday I was falling asleep at the wheel so I went to bed at 8:30 pm. I slept like a rock and when my alarm went off at 5 am, I was not a happy camper.

But, duty calls, so I got up and headed to my task for the day. Our town does a school supply drive every July and August and then hands out backpacks and supplies to the kids in need. We did that today and my co-workers volunteer to help with security and keeping the line in order outside as the kids and parents line up to receive their bags.

I got there just before 6am. Why, you ask when the doors don't open until 9? Well, because the first kids in line were there at 3:30 this morning and when I got there it was half way down the block.

We received our briefing and then an ask for volunteers for two people to write numbers came up. NO one was stepping up and I hate that, so I said I would and then Sue said she would too. We both thought this would be a simple process - write numbers on the hands of the kids, parents/guardians, so they would go in the doors sequentially. Easy, right?

Yeah, no. We had a lot of "My brother is coming", "My dad had to work but will be here at 8", "My kid is sick", etc. etc. etc. Sue and I thought we were doing pretty well - we were up to 900 when the doors opened (early, I might add) and suddenly we were super far behind.

Luckily, Mike came and switched our strategy (I'm not sure if for the best or not) and we had two lines, I had the odds, she had the evens, but we kept getting off. And there were line jumpers, and people who we "missed" - though the ones we marked I don't remember at all.

Finally at 9:30 (3 hours of numbering) Mike swapped us out. Thank goodness. It was great, to meet the kids and see how excited they were, but man! People kept thinking they weren't going to get anything if they weren't farther up in line, and we all kept telling them they could come back later in the day or even next week and still pick up supplies.

Anyway, we grabbed a bit of sustenance - cookie, pluot* and lemonade. I had a headache from hell. I'm not sure if it was sinuses reacting (because I've been getting over a cold) or if it was lack of caffeine since I hadn't had a diet coke since yesterday afternoon, or if it was just sleep deprivation topped with people.

I hung out for awhile longer and then Bruce said I could go. The line had diminished immensely and he had plenty of helpers. I was supposed to be on until 1, but I was really glad he let me go.

So Lisa, Emmy and I got together and did a little shopping. I picked up the bowls Emmy and I did last week. I like how it turned out except I realized that I really need to use more paint. I didn't like that it wasn't even in so many places.

Bethany - tell me your secret! Do you prep the pieces at all before you paint? Or just start painting? Help! I have some cool ideas in my head but I need to figure out how to paint them better...

Okay... anyway, Em and I looked at cooking stuff in Kohl's while Lisa shopped for work clothes. We found some cloth napkins that I bought - they were on clearance but they're going to be great for my house. I really want to stop using paper napkins and so now I can! YAY!

We also went to Target where my list of 3 things turned into 9 and was way more expensive than I planned but all things I need. Then we went to lunch because Emmy kept grabbing candy and drinks "Look, Mom! Look what they have!"

After lunch I was exhausted so I ditched the girls and came home to take a quick nap before I'd go out for my run. Yeah, that hour nap turned into 3 1/2 hours. THREE AND A HALF HOURS! I could not believe it. I'm still tired too.

I know I needed the sleep. I have been so off on my sleep schedule the last few weeks with camp, work, Olympics, work. So hopefully, I can get back on track now.

Of course I didn't get my run in, so I have to do that tomorrow. 7 weeks to the marathon. SHEEEIT!

*Pluot - a new fruit I had never heard of but these were really yummy! The lady brought these in for the volunteers this morning and I kind of wish I would have grabbed a couple for the road because I'm not sure I'll find them again. HopefullY!

1 comment:

bethany actually said...

Sara, I don't think I have a secret...I don't prep the pieces or anything. I always asked the very friendly staff at our pottery-painting place lots of questions about which brushes to use, how a certain effect was achieved on a piece in the shop, etc. The biggest trick I know is that you have to let each layer of paint dry as completely as possible before painting another layer over it if you don't want it to be streaky. And to make little dots (like on that plate) I use the wrong end of the paintbrush.

Other than that, I've spent a LOT of money over the past three years painting pottery. I've had lots of practice. :-) Good luck!