25 August 2008

Mirror Mirror on the wall, you need to run more

I forgot to mention Sunday how I was having a really awesome day of reflection. Not a meditation type of day, but almost every time I looked in the mirror I was really pleased with what I saw. I'm not sure if it's the style of mirror, or reflection in a window, but I really looked damn good. The only time I wasn't happy was when I tried on my new skirt (which looked great!) but my shirt didn't work with it at all. So I have to get a new shirt to work with the skirt so I can wear it, because I love the skirt.

But it was refreshing to not feel so depressed when I looked at myself. I'm not as fat as I sometimes think (though maybe not eating crap every day like I was the past month – with the exception of last week – actually helps). I do need to lose some weight but more so: I desperately need to tone!

So that's where Keith comes in. I met with Keith today to get a massage and see his new office. Pretty sweet, actually. We talked and caught up a little since it's been months since I have seen him. And boy did the massage prove that!

I ran through my concerns and fears with Keith: 1) I have a marathon in 6 weeks; 2) I haven't run in 3.5-4 wks, due to the horrendous schedule I've had; 3) last week when I tried to run my shin muscles were so tight and burning that I could barely move my ankle, despite the moist heat and stretching; and 4) did I mention I have a marathon in 6 weeks?

So he really worked on my feet and legs today. It was great – painful but great. It's one of those things where I'm gritting my teeth or laughing to get through the pain, all the while he's trying to distract me with random comments and slams. It's great. All in all, it was a great 2-hour massage but I need to go back soon.

After that we went to lunch to catch up some more and talk about training plans. He wants me to send him my protein intake (and carb and everything else for that matter) and my workout schedule. A year ago he had given me a periodization schedule but I haven't really used it as I know he would like me too. I've varied some things instead. But his big thing was that I need to be running with music for motivation, especially since I have no one to run with, and that I probably need more weight training.

We're meeting again on the 8th – so that gives me two weeks to get my ass back in gear, doing my Tony Horton in the morning, running at noon and doing my crunches and pushups at night. Or some variation of this. I have 6 weeks! And that's not just for the marathon – that's for my trip too...toning will be much needed. So here I go!

No comments: