22 August 2008

Shoo fly, don't bother me

We've had this infestation of fruit flies at work lately. I've had them at home too but I know that's because I've been eating a lot of watermelon and so my whole kitchen really just needs a complete scrub down (which will happen after watermelon season).

Sarah and I were talking about watermelon a couple weeks ago when Eric and I were having our contest on who could eat more. She commented how because we live in the tundra, we don't get fresh fruit all year long, at least fresh fruit that we could potentially grow ourselves (if we had our own houses and gardens and such) and so when fruit season (i.e. summer) comes around we just devour it.

And devour I have been. I think I have spent more money on watermelon in the last two months than I have on the rest of my groceries. It's crazy. I usually start the week with one, cut it in half and cube it into a bowl. I'll eat half the bowl that day. The next day I'll portion it out for work, and eat whatever is left (if any) that night and cut up the other half. The next day I portion again, and eat what's left that night. If I remember, I'll have picked up another watermelon after work and will cube that for the next day. I'll go through 2 maybe 3 watermelon a week.

Now, just in case you're freaking out with my obsession with the fruit, these aren't the big long ones that are 2 feet in length. I tend to go for the more rounder ones because they fit in my fridge better. This is part of why I have to buy so many. If only I had my fridge from my last apartment. *sigh* I loved that fridge.

So I've been eating a lot of watermelon and hence, a lot of fruit flies. But why they are at work is beyond me. It's annoying.

So annoying that I took out the big garbages this afternoon. Here's the odd part of this. We have a schedule of who cleans the breakroom and vacuums the hallway for each month. It's divied out by one of our head folks in the fall for the rest of the year. My month was July and my cleaning partner (it's usually two of us) was basically non-existant the entire month, so I cleaned all on my own.

Well this month, JJ was lamenting because her partner is gone this month, but her temp was going to help her. JJ is gone this week and so I asked the temp if she was cleaning this afternoon and if she was I'd be willing to help, just let me know. Her comment was, "I'm not worried about cleaning the building." That became obvious when she left at noon and the building wasn't cleaned.

Not a big deal. I've skipped the vacuuming and sweeping when the breakroom floor wasn't bad, but no one had emptied the coffee out (which I never drink so this annoys me even more) and no one had taken the trash out and it was 15 minutes to close. So I did. I'm not looking for congratulations, I just wish people would do their tasks, or others would step up so I wouldn't feel morally obligated. I hate the "responsibility" trait. Grrr.

But hopefully it'll help. That's all I can hope for.

No comments: