19 August 2008

An article like no other I've read...

Interview
The Things That Carried Him

This weekend, well yesterday, I read a story that impacted me as most stories like this would. But this one was different. The level of intricacies and detail and emotion put into the words ... well there are no words to explain. We talked about this at work and wondered how many military members probably missed it because it was in Esquire instead of a military publication. My thought was yes, they should read it, but maybe it's better that the general public reads it first - to understand that the military does care for the fallen, and their families and respects every member of the Armed Forces from beginning to end.

It's an emotional article, one I had to start and stop several times because I couldn't see past the tears; one I had to start and stop because my emotions building were so intense I had to step back and gather my thoughts - a luxury many in the story were not able to do; one I had to start and stop because I now had a more clear understanding of what would happen if any of my friends didn't make it back.

Read - probably print and read because reading it on the screen may take you a while.
Comment if you'd like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that very moving piece.