09 August 2008

Smiles all around

Today is why God invented weekends.

Emmy and I slept in (well, 7am, at least for me - she got up at 8). We had some Kashi Go-Lean strawberry waffles and watched The Wizard of Oz while we frosted our sugar cookies we made last night. Talk about a sticky mess - sticky, sugary mess. But it was fun. I have a person cookie cutter and she decorated one cookie as her mom with purple hair ("She's wearing a wig.") and another as her dad, with white side hair (since he's bald on top) and a pink mustache. I laughed my butt off on that one. Of course his reaction later was priceless.

"Emmy bear, you decorated a cookie to look like me?"
"Yep! I gave you a pink mustache!"
He feigned that he was hurt. And then when I muttered to my sister, "Yeah, and she used white frosting on the sides of the head for his hair" he added a push-away gesture and walked away. We were all laughing though.

After Em and I frosted the cookies her mom called to see if we were going to walk the two blocks to see Zach play in the 3-on-3 tourney he was in. Emmy had a resounding "no" when I asked her. Apparently she's sick of watching her brother play sports all the time. So we went to a place in town to paint pottery.

This was a lot of fun, though a little more expensive than I had planned. You have to pay a studio fee for me as an adult and her as a child. And you have to pay for the piece you're going to paint. It seemed a little steep but it'll probably be worth it. I've seen Bethany's stuff and I love it. I know mine won't be near as awesome but I'm excited to see how mine turned out. I used the colors from my living room so I'm a little nervous.

After we painted we headed to Applebees for lunch. Originally we were going to go to Arby's which is across the street from the paint place. Not the best option since the street is hellacious and I hate driving on it in the middle of the night when no one's around. But put me on it at 1pm on a Saturday and I long for the bumper to bumper rush hour traffic of the cities. It's so much saner there. At least people understand how to drive.

So I ended up ditching the plan to eat in that area and went around town and back to my side where there's an Applebees there. Of course Em's family ended up at the Arby's we had intended to eat at which made me laugh. Oh well. We decided to have dessert at my house (cookies, natch) and packed up her things and headed to meet the fam.

Then I got to have my adult fun. Wow, that sounds dirty.

I made up the salad my sister gave me the recipe for at Emmy's birthday and cut up watermelon and drove to see Sarah and Eric. We grilled burgers and had potato salad, my salad, and then Eric and I began our contest of who could eat the most watermelon. We tied, but it was fun. Then we watched the Olympics and cheered on Michael Phelps set a new world record in the 400 meter individual medley.

Then the fun began...Eric's parents showed up and what a riot! We had a blast. They are hysterical and I can totally see where Eric gets his humor from. What fun! I didn't really want to leave but when I realized it was 10:30 I thought I better get my butt home since I have to travel again tomorrow. Fun fun!

So now I have dishes in the dishwasher and it's time for bed. Tomorrow I have to do laundry, stop out at work and clean up a few more things I didn't finish Friday, then get on the road. I'll be glad when this week is over. God bless!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you were able to come up! It was so much fun to have you here again!

Eric's parents explain so much about him don't they. Makes so much more sense :)

Hope you have good travels and your week out west goes well.