29 November 2008

Starting to purge

Today was a down day for me. Not "down" as in depressing, but "down" as in relaxing and not really busy.

I slept in a bit and then just kind of vegged for awhile. I cleaned up my kitchen and watched some Monk. I need to put up my Christmas Tree but I need to plasticate my windows first and I need to get more plastic to make sure I have enough. So that'll have to be tomorrow.

But I did start going through my storage area. I have a small area in our storage area where I can lock up my stuff. The big problem is that, other than my Christmas stuff, I haven't really gone through any of this stuff since I moved in to this place almost two years ago. A couple people have told me to just throw the boxes without even opening them because if I haven't needed it now I don't need it.

The problem is that most of the boxes are full of books and I have a very big problem with throwing away books. And an even bigger problem with just throwing away boxes without checking to see what's in them.

I've been avoiding this project for a very long time, but I finally decided to just start going through things.

The sad thing is that most of the crap I have in that storage area is just empty boxes. A lot of them I had broken down (i.e. flattened) and shoved on the side of the area, but a lot of them hadn't been. And those that hadn't been were full of bubble wrap or packing peanuts.

Ugh.

So I dumped two 13 gal garbage bags full of packing peanuts and flattened a bunch of boxes for recycling and cleaned out my storage area a bit. It feels pretty good to have gone through a bunch of that, but *sigh* all those boxes of books! Ugh... I don't know what to do with them.

So tomorrow I'm going to clean my bedroom and purge some clothing again (I found a box half full of stuff that was intended for Goodwill...and I have a feeling there is at least one more, if not a couple, still in storage). And then I may have to start sorting through books. I'm thinking a box of "must-keeps", a box of "maybes", and a box of "sell or give away". The latter I'm open to suggestions on - not sure about where to sell books. I know I can take them to Goodwill, but I know some are kind of expensive and selling them might be good.

It's a good feeling to get rid of things that I don't need anymore. I need to stop buying things I don't need too. :) But it's nice to feel like I'm accomplishing something.

Though the sneezing from all the dust isn't too fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi beautiful! If some of those books are sem books...you could advertise them on the Luther swap meet and then bring them to the cities the next time you are there..?? Praying this finds you well! Peace in Christ - E

~moe~ said...

Yes! Some are so I'll have to do this soon since J-term starts faster than you can say Jimminy Cricket.

:) Hope you're well!