05 November 2008

Gutters and Wind

My mind must be in the gutter today. So not good. I'm in our weekly meeting and one of the guys says, "Any time you're mounted you need to have a helmet."*

Now out of context that cracks me up. I bit my cheek and struggled to keep my laughter in and, as I looked up, one of the guys in the meeting who usually makes faces at me anyway held back his laughter and rolled his eyes questioning the logic of the statement. I'm sure he was thinking the same thing I was..."which one needs the helmet?"

And then my mind stayed in the gutter as we switched topics and another guy said, "Well, we've done it both ways."

Sheesh...I need help.

So I thought it best for me to get out of my closet (a large, walk-in closet, that is - not that there's anything wrong with the other kind) and get a run in today. I haven't ran in over a week, which is awful when I'm toying with running a marathon in February. It felt good to get out (see...comments like that) even if the wind was blowing fiercely. I ran with the wind (as was the prescribed route) to start, which was probably good because my shins were killing me.

The turn around into the wind sucked (or blew - depending on your vernacular), but there is a bonus to running into a 16mph, gusting to 25mph, head wind - your legs really get stronger and Lord knows I need that.

I was reading a blog by a mommy-runner in town who ran into an 18 mph headwind with her baby in the jogging stroller yesterday. Today she ran without child or stroller and said it felt so fast. I'm thinking maybe I should get a stroller to push...that might build up my leg and arm muscles.

*Just so you don't think the guys I work with are total perv's...they were talking about bikes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get a stroller and fill it with weights! That's a great training plan... Although, those running strollers are EXPENSIVE!

~moe~ said...

I know!! That's what keeps me from doing it. Plus I'm sure I'd get some funny looks running with a stroller filled with free weights. :) Not that I don't get weird looks anyway.