14 November 2008

Flashback...part two

Today We said goodbye to an old friend. Actually, he wasn't old. That was the bad thing; Dan was only 61.

Dan was my friend AES's uncle. He was also the dad to VS and CO, both of whom I went to high school with. In fact, if things had twisted just slightly, VS and I might have hooked up.

So today was his funeral. I made myself go, not only for AES, for VS and CO, but also for me.

I always knew of Dan. He was around town. He was V and C's dad. He was really cool. But my strongest memory of him was the Friday after my dad died. I was in town and it was a home football game, so I went (something to do). V and Dan were there and V gave me a hug and asked what I was doing home. They hadn't heard (surprising, considering the small town) and I just remember the looks on their faces when I told them. The concern and sympathy and caring that was there was so genuine that I just wanted to hug them both and at the same time comfort them.

Dan had a uniqueness about him. And today it showed. He always wore a gray western style jacket (when he was dressing up) with black in it. It's hard to describe here, but it was really fun to see so many of his friends and loved ones wearing the same kind of jacket. Not sure if that was their own style or if it was a tribute to Dan.

I like to think the latter. Rest in peace, Dan. We'll miss you.

No comments: