17 November 2008

Cooking plans

I'm stuck in the middle again.

Next week, I'm running a Thanksgiving Day 5K with my sister in law. It should be fun and any time you can run for a t-shirt and pie has to be a good time, even if it's freakin' cold out.

But then...it's Thanksgiving. My sister invited me, mom and my brother's family down to her place because her husband is a farmer and they still have work to do (amazing considering the lateness in the year but it's been one of those years).

I want to make a yam recipe, a dinner roll recipe and my pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I don't care really where I take it but I want to make those three things. I was just at my brother's this weekend for his daughter's b-day so I feel like I should go to my sister's for Thanksgiving. Plus, with her not being able to go anywhere because of her husband's work I feel like I should go there.

The problem is my brother came back with the same reasoning - that his wife has to work that night so it won't work for his family. Now, I know when my SIL has to be at work, and if we did a 1pm meal we'd be done with the race and would still allow enough time for t-day together. But I guess that's not my call.

It's just too bad. Because now I feel torn. I was going to do T-day with my brother since I'd already be there, but they'd be doing a turkey loaf (blech) and that's leave my sister's family alone and I'd already have spent the morning there.

The other problem is mom. Last year we split t-day because SIL had to work (she always works Thursdays) and my sister had her in-laws over that year. Well, to save face I just didn't go to either. We had seen everyone the weekend before at my nieces b-day so it wasn't like we hadn't been together. What happened though, was our mother was invited both places but she didn't want to choose so she came to my house (I had pizza).

This wasn't bad, mind you, but I hate being the decider for her, because it seems like that's how she makes her decisions. Maybe it's not true, but it feels that way. So this year I'm not going to answer to my sister's mass email because I want to see what Mom is going to say. Funny thing, she hasn't answered yet. I'm curious what will happen.

Wow ... that was a whole lot of rambling for nothing. But it helped me vent so thanks to whomever is still reading.

3 comments:

KJ said...

I've had an interesting time bowing out of things and arranging things so that it works out best for everyone. Tricky. And you know what? I just made a reservation tonight, and told everyone to just let me know if they wanted to be added to it! I love doing Thanksgiving usually, but all the push to do it at my house, and all the cooking and cleaning involved, not to mention the expense of hosting it when all everyone is going to bring is pie and wine.... um.... yeah. Reservations, it is! Then I can enjoy the day! I will have to cook a turkey though... how can we not have leftovers?!

Even trickier for you, with all that family.

But seriously, turkey loaf?

KJ said...

And just to comment on the post before this one, because you closed comments... the answer is yes.

Mamalang said...

First of all, thanks for the comment. I do tell him all the trivial stuff, but we've been in contact so much there isn't much to tell him...lol.

I'm having the same thing this year, except my choice would really be to just stay home with my kids and skip the whole thing. I'm not big on Thanksgiving anyway...our whole family lives within 15 min of us now, so we see them all the stinkin time. But, my mom offered to keep the kids Wednesday night so I can sleep in, and then just show up and eat. That made the decision a little easier.

Good luck with the run!