08 November 2008

Full again

Yesterday and today were slam-bam-thank you ma'am kind of days, but in the best way possible.

I ran (not literally, though knowing my insanity I wouldn't be surprised if it someday crossed my mind despite the distance) up to the Cities yesterday to see E&K who were there for a conference. They brought along my adorable God-daughter for me to play with which was super fun.

Nika and I had a little adjustment period. She wasn't feeling great because of the different water in her formula so she was a little fussy. But once we got to the restaurant we had a blast.

She sat in an extremely unsafe table-top chair between E and I and banged her spoon to her heart's content. This girl is amazing. She didn't fuss at all the entire time we were there - at least 2 hours worth of time being extremely adorable and content with not getting to eat our food. Amazing.

Then I had my fix with E&K, talking about life, running (I'm trying to convince E to run Austin with me - I'm close), and general merriment. They really want me to hook up and settle down, asking me to consider match.com or chemistry.com or something. I asked to wait until after Austin and E started chiding me about "there will always be something - then it's Easter, then it's Memorial Day, then it's Sweetest Day..." and rolled his eyes at me.

I'm considering it, but I just don't know if I want to start the dating game right before the 4 major holidays in couple's lives - T-day, Xmas, New Years, and VDay. K doesn't think guys think about that, but I don't want to take the chance. If I can hold out til after VDay then Austin will be over and I can maybe focus. I don't know.

It's not that I don't want someone in my life. I just wonder if I'm ready. Sad to say, I am 33 and all, but I've always been a late bloomer. As AES used to say, "Shit, Moe, it took you going to seminary to let your hair down" when he found out I was going out every Wednesday night. (Of course that only lasted a few months because soon I couldn't breathe or talk without coughing - damn smoky bars).

So I'm a little behind. And I suck at dating. I don't have a good track record to begin with...I'm just not sure.

Anyway... sorry that was a big tangent. Last night I got the best night's sleep I've had in a long while. I woke up actually feeling refreshed and renewed. The place I stay gave me a great room this time and the shower was phenomenal.

Then I went back to E&K's and played with Nika while E napped and K met with a friend for coffee. Nika and I had a blast - reading, talking, playing with the girl in the mirror, standing up and trying to walk (she's soooo close and she doesn't even know how to crawl yet), and general merriment. She began her meltdown right as K got back but they were on there way home anyway so all was good.

I really needed to see them. We joke that I need my Nika-fix, but in reality I needed to see all three of them. It was much needed.

To continue my self-care, I went to the mall to get my hairs cut. My hair grows so fast and I just can't bear to have it as long as it was last May again. I went to Master Cuts and signed up for a shampoo and cut. The gal who cut my hair was great. To lay back and get my hair washed and scalp massaged was amazing. I sunk into a mini-world of being pampered for an ever so brief moment of time. It was great. And now my hair is shorter and lighter (I have fine, thick hair - it's insane) and I'm happy.

Then on to Keith to get a massage. Funny thing, K was jealous I was getting a 2-hour massage, but in truth it hurts like hell when he's working out my kinks. I don't go for the fluff-n-buff. I'm hard core and like to get everything worked over so my muscles don't get over toxic (i.e. so I can run better). I really needed this because I hadn't had any work done since before the marathon. I was in bad shape.

Really bad shape. There was swearing, kicking of feet, clenching of the table, and in the end....relief. I feel so great now, I can't even tell you. I'm loose, I'm pain-free, and I.feel.awesome.

I really needed these two days. I feel, well, I've said it before, but renewed. Connecting with people who really know me - and K&E really know me best - was so needed. They know what to tell me, don't pull any punches, and are so inspiring. Keith helps me continue my self-care which I really need to focus more on.

All in all...a stellar 36 hours.

No comments: