03 November 2008

Debate

My family and I love to debate. My father always said that if you can't have a healthy debate you're not really living. He and his youngest-older sister would have heated political debates that would worry the rest of the family to the point where they'd try to interject and call it off. Dad and Ruthie would just laugh and hug it out...always loving each other despite their different political beliefs.

My oldest-older brother and I have a similar relationship. He converted to Catholicism a few years back for his family and has been a staunch Republican for years. This is fun when me, as the Lutheran, will throw religious debates at him and, being a registered Democrat (though I feel more independent that a true Dem), we get our political fires rolling too.

I sent an email out to my siblings today requesting Christmas wish lists for their kids (because I shop by mail and really want to get this done soon) and what we're going to do for Mom for Christmas. For some reason this prompted my oldest-older brother to start a political discussion.

No, wait, I take that back...my email yesterday talking about what I'm going to put in my next post triggered his email but he didn't reply to that one, he replied to my list one.

Anyway...we've been going back and forth today, as we do. I might have triggered a possible sway when I directed him to Dave's blog post on McCain and POWs. I don't think O-O realized all of this. Not that it will really sway him, but it was good for him to know because at one point he was going on about how he respects his elders and those who serve in the military (and Obama hasn't). I had to point out that Obama is his elder by 4 years and does serving in the military really mean you'd be a great leader? Because if that's the case we need to fire most of Congress.

Okay. I'm done. Tomorrow is Vote Day. It's an important moment in an American's life. It's your right...one of the few truly instilled by the Constitution for us. Use it. Own it. Live it.

VOTE.

No comments: