24 April 2008

Laughter is the best medicine they say

One of the reasons I totally love my job is that 9 times out of 10 I will be laughing my butt off at some point throughout the day. There are just these idiotic moments that will just catch us off guard or strike me funny and I burst out laughing.

Today it happened right at the end of the day. KC and I have been nagged, I mean, asked by one of our section leaders to update two additional duty letters. We have these to assign people to different committees and let me tell you, these are a pain in the ass.

Well, first I had to find the two letters - one was named something completely wrong (which I fixed) and the other was named correctly but was in dire need of updating. It hadn't been updated since 2005 and there have been a lot of changes since then.

So KC and I talked through most of the changes on the phone until we got to the part that states what regulation we're following that states we need these people on the committee. It looked like an odd reg to me, so I told KC I'd do some research and look it up.

Our huge organization has an online database of all the varying regs for different areas so I took a quick look-see to see what I could find.

Well, this cracked me up: the reg listed on our appointment letters was a supplement from 1998. That was the first bad thing. The next bad was that the main reg has a most recent issue from 2005. And the final awesome bad thing was that there was no supplement matching the one we had listed anywhere in our database.

I busted out laughing. Really, this isn't that funny of a matter, but taking into account the section leader who has been repeatedly asking about these duty letters and the fact that even on the last update no one caught that the reg was out of date or verified that, this became extremely funny.

I called KC and told her the situation and said I'd do a little more research, but I really am not optimistic. I need to get a copy of the main reg now and see if there's even a need for this group, because if not...I'm rescinding everything and deleting it from my files! WOOHOO!

What kills me about this is that it's such a "high priority" to get this updated and then it may not even be needed. So KC and I are sweating bullets trying to find out security status and who needs to be on the group and what not, and we don't even know why the group is in place or if it even needs to continue.

So since this happened at the end of the day, I spent the next 20 minutes in all out laughter. I even drove to Walgreens to pick up some prescriptions (because drugs are good) and one of the guys in the next truck stared at me like I was insane because I couldn't stop laughing.

As KC said, "this job is so much more than a secretary." No shit. That's why I hate that term.

So here's to all of you, hoping that each of you finds something hysterical to enjoy each day at work...even if it makes no sense to anyone else.

No comments: