12 August 2005

'It's like a kind of torture...to have to watch the show'

I’m feeling old. Years ago, when I was in college and very active in theatre (i.e. Masquers group) my friends tried to educate me in the world of Monty Python. They couldn’t believe a theatre person had never seen Holy Grail and “omigod you need to see it”. So the group arranged a ‘screening’ of it for me a brian’s house. They were all excited because they, of course, loved the movie. Well I sat down, ready to enjoy and 2 minutes into the movie they were reciting all the lines, so much so that I couldn’t even understand what was being said. So I bowed out that night – which may have pissed them off – but I figured I’d rent it and come to understand it better later.

Well Wednesday I bought the Special Edition of the Holy Grail so I could fill a (so-called) gap from my youth. I sat down to watch it last night and, you know, I just don’t get the humor. Yes, it’s funny to a point but I didn’t quite get the knock-down, all out laughter that had ensued when I watched it in college. Maybe I’m just getting old. Or as Tre said, maybe I just didn’t have the right amount of alcoholic intake to enjoy it. I’ll have to work on that this weekend. :)

But then again, maybe it’s just one of those movies that the first experience is what makes it funny. I find some movies extremely funny that I know others wouldn’t – like Paramedics, My Blue Heaven, Spaceballs, How I Got into College, Plain Clothes, Mannequin, Dream a Little Dream, etc – well basically tons of cheesy 80’s movies.

~~~~

I just received season one of The Muppet Show in the mail today. 4 discs, 604 minutes of pure joy coming my way. It’s very exciting. I remember watching episodes with the family when I was really young, and then reruns when they would occur. Ah, the fun. I mean, really, what could be more fun than watching Statler and Waldorf criticize every moment on the show, or the Swedish Chef, or Doctor Bunsen Honeydew and Beeker? Exciting times.

3 comments:

Leland said...

i affirm your like of cheesy 80s movies, but have to say i really enjoy the holy grail as well. i don't know if i would say any of them qualify as must see films, but if you watch them, you need to be prepped.

Leland said...

by the way, your title would work for those of us who have watched tidbits of the churchwide assembly...

kendi said...

part of it is the experience, i do believe, of watching it with a group of people. it's unfortunate that the group you watched with with initially was too big and loud. also, though, i think you have a unique relationship with movies that most of the rest of us don't have; you actually like to focus in on them just as movies. we'll watch it with you sometime and "explain" it to you. you could bring it along when you visit :)