23 November 2009

Chilly

I’ve been cold all day today. It’s Monday and I’m working which requires a different uniform. It’s complicated, but that’s okay. I probably could have gotten away with my normal clothes but I also had a funeral to go to, so the spiffier the dress, the better.

The funeral was nice, despite the circumstances. The woman who died was the wife of a former co-worker. She found out in February that she had cancer. It was quite progressive but she fought it hard and always kept her spirits about her. The priest said during the service that she had told them not to mourn her, do not weep, but instead celebrate her life. Fitting, then, that the school choir (where she worked) sang the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of the service. God bless you, Dody, and your family and friends. They loved you so.

Funerals always make me think about three things – one, Nicole and how young she was when she died; two, Dad, because he’s always present in my heart; and three, my funeral and how I would like it to be. This was a Catholic service, full mass, of course, but one of the readings was really was potent. It was from the Apocrypha, as I know it, from the book of Wisdom. (find text) I like that text and I’m thinking that if I die young and before my so-called “time” I would like my sister-in-law to read that. Then we can go into some OT verses and have some fun.

Yes, I’m a bit morbid and I plan out my funeral. I need to write it all down though so I know I get what I want. Some of my wishes probably won’t please some of my family, but it’s something to think about. Does your family know what you want? Have you thought about it? It’s kind of one of my fears, because when Dad died I know we didn’t really have a clue what he wanted – other than he wouldn’t have wanted all the fuss. But readings and hymns…all that we guessed on. I wish my mother would sit down and talk about it, but I fear if I bring it up she’ll come back with the, “Oh, you don’t want me around anymore” speech.

1 comment:

KJ said...

I totally understand - I've thought about this too, especially since my step-dad died. Garett and I talked about what we would want, kinda nice to know that he knows.