26 February 2008

Work is great!

I love my job. However, I have no idea what I did today. I can't remember any real details - it just kind of ran together. I think there was typing, there may have been composing of an article, and there might have been some accounting of some sort (which sucks and probably why I've blocked out most of the day). But I loved it. Every minute was great.

I feel so much better when I have a purpose - and that's my problem on weekends. I don't really feel like I have a purpose during my off times. I used to not have much off time. At the old job I worked 5, sometimes 6, sometimes 7 days a week. Days were from 7:30 until 4:30 but if I didn't get out of work at 4:30 I usually stayed another 90 minutes to avoid rush hour (it'd be the same time frame to get home - I could either stay and chat with the awesome desk workers or I could sit in traffic and curse at fellow drivers and waste fuel). Weekends we always had an event or I was coming home for drill or what not. It's just odd to not really have anything going on.

So I've been looking at getting a part-time job. I started scanning the classifieds this weekend and what killed me was that almost every PT job stated "No weekends!" as one of its selling points. Yeah, not going to help me. I refuse to go back to fast food - I do not want to smell like grease again. 8 years of that was enough. I've toyed with B&N but I'm a little nervous about working at a bookstore. I know, I'm a freak but working in a place where (it seems like) intellectuals hang out doesn't fit with me. I am so not an intellectual anymore (ever) so I feel like I'd be out of place. Maybe not. Maybe that's where I should go. Maybe I could get as lucky as Miss Minnesota and become a coffee guru (which would be great since I don't drink coffee).

Or maybe I should be focusing on TC (that's the Twin Cities Marathon for any newbies here to this blog). Brookings is coming up soon too, but at this point no matter how hard I train I'm probably not going to do as well as I had hoped. But TC - ah, TC. That's a different story. I have an unique opportunity this year to improve and kick some serious Moe butt. I know what to expect now. I know the course. I know that the end is going to suck. But that's the thing: I know it, so now I can prepare for it. And because I know and I can prepare, training should be easier than last year. Last year I had no idea what to expect so I just ran, and ran whenever I could. Now I know better - I need to get strength training back. I need to eat better. I need to focus when I run instead of just lollygagging around.

And maybe that's a better part-time job than anything else this town could offer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should look in to a part time job at a gym.

Amy Adams said...

I have no idea what too much time feels like! Training sounds like a great idea--train like its for the Olympics! I hear that is a full time job.

I couldn't work at a bookstore, because I would spend my paycheck several times over. I understand from some friends who did work at a bookstore that you start to see books as products, not books, so you don't need to sweat the "intellectual" nonsense--it's not really brain work at all.

CindaRu and Dustin Too! said...

I think training sounds like a great idea. I also think a good idea would be to get outside your apartment. Tot quote Avenue Q, "There is life outside you apartment." There has to be some things in your community that you would like to check out or get interested in. Maybe there are some things related to some interests or hobbies that have some weekend events. I know it sucks to go to stuff by yourself, but it really is the best way to get out there and meet people. It would also help give your weekends a "purpose" if you say, "I'm going to do, x,y, or z." That might help with your weekend motivation.
There's my two cents.