10 February 2008

ISTJ or ISFJ, what are you?

Cold weather is great in that I have caught up a lot on sleep lately. I curled up on the couch this evening, watching The Longest Yard on TBS and suddenly woke up to Rush Hour 2. Joy. My neck is twisted but I kept warm and it was a nice nap.

Cold weather days where I stay holed up in the apartment are nice. I love being alone. DebB and I were talking about this last week - we were talking about the MBTI test that it seems everyone takes at least once in their life. (I've taken it at least 4 times. I've come to hate it.) I'm always an "I" which people do not understand. She is, too. People look at us (separately) and would think that we are an "E" because of how we act in public and our abilities to get up in front and lead a group. But in reality we both re-energize by being alone.

It's so true. In the past week I've been told that I'm hyper, way too energetic and at one point a co-worker even took my arm and told me to settle down (I felt like a child at that point - thanks, mom. gee, I was only dancing to the music that you were playing, hello...it's really all your fault). The thing is, I am energetic in groups, I can get hyper and maybe I do get so excitable that I seem overwhelming. I think part of it is that I start to feel like I have to be a certain thing in a group, because when I'm not...when I'm the calm self I usually am, people think something is wrong and I hate getting that question. It's about as bad as being told I sound crabby.

But my point is, that even after I'm told I'm hyper or energetic or need to settle down, I can't until I'm alone. Everything just builds and builds until I feel so full that I just get exhausted and I'll sit alone and everything just drains. It's almost a literal feeling of draining the excitement, the hyperness, out of my body to where I can be me again. There are times when even this won't help - that's when I run.

I haven't been running as much lately. I went out once last week (actually outside! YAY!) and it was nice. It wasn't cold like today so it felt pretty good. I did hit the treadmill a couple times, too, and I'm really out of shape. I'm thinking (i.e. knowing) I need to hit the gym harder and sooner. The Brookings marathon is coming up way to quick. Damn me and my pre-planning by already signing up and paying for it. What was I thinking?

No comments: