11 February 2008

A Happy Madison Production

Actually, it's not a Happy Madison production, but I've been watching so many Adam Sandler movies lately it's stuck in my head.

Nah, today I've thinking a lot about the coming Thursday. Yes, Singles Awareness Day is once again upon us. Or Valentine's Day if you're so inclined.

I hate this coming day. For one, yes, I'm single so it's just another reminder that I have no one in my life. For two, it's over advertised (there have been valentine's on the shelves since Christmas). And for three, why WHY do we need one day to tell someone we love or care about them?

The latter is the biggest thing to me. There is so much hype and expectation around this one day that it seems like the sentiment doesn't feel true – it feels like an obligation. One shouldn't feel obligated to show love to someone or obligate someone else to do the same to them.

If you really love someone, if you really care about them...show them now! Don't wait until Thursday. Just do it. Hell, do it every day. Do it when the moment moves you. Do it when it's least expected. Do it when they are on your mind because they just are, not because of a stupid holiday coming up.

And this isn't just a romantic love, it's for everyone. If you have friends who mean a lot to you, tell them. If you are thankful for people in your life, thank them now.

I'm awful at this. I often feel like I take my few friends for granted. I hardly ever call up K&E or J-man or Tre or JB or the countless others running through my head right now. But I love you all and care about you so much. You are in my thoughts all the time and I wish I could show my appreciation for you every day.

And it's more than just those currently in my life, I'm also thinking about all the friends I've had and lost for various reasons – some because of moves and life changes, some because of fights or arguments, others just because of various circumstances and our relationships have had to end. Despite whatever the reasons we're not friends now, I still thank you all for everything you have given me. You have helped me to shape my life and become who I am today.

2 comments:

M. said...

As I told my HMF this weekend, if I don't get a lab-made heart-shaped ruby ring this V-day, it's OVER.
Also, some shitty Stover's chocolates.

This "holiday" is totally over hyped, but you're right, it is a good reminder to tell those you love, you love them - every day.

~moe~ said...

You know I'm probably a hypocrite because if I actually had an HMF as you do I'd probably be asking for something similar for this "holiday" too. Although I prefer sapphires and Ghirardelli chocolates instead. :)