01 December 2007

The heat is on (is it?)

There are reasons I knit blankets. And proof came again today. How I ever survived growing up here is beyond me. Hell, why I moved back here is even more amazing.

It snowed here today...a lot. And it's cold. So very cold again.

I really don't like snow. Well, actually, snow isn't that bad – it's pretty, makes the world look clean (at least for a few hours until all the cars and exhaust ruins the effect), and does fit well with this time of year. But the cold and sleet and wind that comes with snow is what I really, truly hate.

Today was no exception. This morning as I got in my car to go to work (early, even) a guy in the garage said, “Heading out in the bad weather, huh?” I said yes because I have to but was a bit confused. The forecast and predicted snow but not starting until mid to late morning. Well, I pulled out of the garage to about 2 or 3 inches that had fallen, snow/sleet falling down and roads that were just a mess. It took me 20 minutes to make it the last 3 blocks to my work entrance, partly because of the storm, partly because everyone else was running late, too.

I tried to laugh it off. I mean, I live in the tundra so it's to be expected, but I'm really not ready for this. And then I came home tonight and I think my heater is on the fritz again. Last winter when I moved in and turned on my heat, after a couple days it stopped working (on a weekend no less). Once the work week began I called the super and they sent up a maintenance person to fix it. Of course they didn't send anyone up until almost 6pm that night so it didn't get fixed until the next day, and they left a huge mess in my bedroom and bedroom closet (where the problem was). So I'm not too anxious to call them again even if I am cold.

So I'm curled up in jeans, heavy socks, a long sleeve tee shirt, a sweatshirt and I haven't moved in about 30 minutes (it's amazing how warm one can get when they stay still). I had my oven on for the longest time and it did help to warm the place up a bit. But I'm going to see how the night goes and if my apartment chills down again (to 62 as it had when I came home) I'll call the super in the morning. All I can say is Thank God for electric blankets.

No comments: