20 December 2007

one of the few reasons I hate this season

This isn't quite how Christmas is supposed to be. I'm supposed to be the one giving the gifts, not getting. Well, okay, it's nice to receive gifts too but I wish there was some sort of guidance or instruction on how to do it.

I have three bosses...well two officially but I claim the third because he and I do a lot of work together...so that means three gifts, right? So I mapped out what I wanted to give them. I was going to do a small GC to B&N for the third, a GC to GNC for the 2nd and then a bigger GC to Sportsman's Warehouse for the first because he is my boss and he's great. Well, then I started running the numbers and trying to be fair, because I'm all about fairness, so I ended up getting $10 GCs to the first two places and then $10 to Scheels instead of Sportsman's because SW doesn't have anything smaller than $25, and if I got $25 there I'd feel like I'd have to get $25 for all three - that adds up to way more than I can afford right now.

So last night was a battle of wits with myself. I think I lost. I had all these different options and looking at it now, I should have done this: $25 at SW for the first boss, $25 at GNC for the second, and $10 at B&N for the third. But I didn't. (A note for next year.)

And so when I came in this morning and there's a huge gift (cocoa set and ornament and cookies) from the first, and the second brings in a beautiful box filled with handmade stuff from his wife (and I know how long those things take to make - earrings, necklace, scarf) plus a penguin light thing, I feel horribly guilty for only getting them those small gifts.

I suck. And then a colleague down the hall brings in an ornament for me and I wasn't going to give her anything, so now I feel guilty because I didn't and I'm toying with running home (half hoping I get tasked to run for something for the afternoon Christmas party so I can) and getting one of the extra sets of Envirosax bags for her, which would also be good since there was one other person I was going to bring a set of those for and I totally spaced on it this morning. But then if you add the costs of those up then I'm giving more to people I like but don't work with directly and very little to my bosses who have been fabulous to me all year long.

So now I feel like a heel, but loved by my first two bosses, which makes me feel like a bigger heel because I should have gotten them more.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I hear you. Even in my family we have to work the whole give/receive thing out... do I give to all the aunts? Cousins? Only the familial units? I don't even know.

I think it's important to know that people are supposed to want to give you a gift without any concern about getting one in return. After all, you are a hard worker, and still not getting quite what their paychecks prolly are. Enjoy being appreciated, and don't feel guilty. Sincere thank-yous are enough.

...but yeah, I'd totally be out looking for last-minute stuff too. I hear you. The holidays blow.