28 December 2007

Yes, Master?


I took a big step in my career today. I met the promotion board and by the grace of God I was awarded Master Sergeant. This is a huge step and I still can't quite believe it.

When I first joined the Air Guard I had many reasons: money for education, getting some discipline (see how well that's helped?), and great opportunities. Of course these were the thoughts I thought at the time. Looking back on it I think I need to be more honest. I joined to serve my country, to follow in the footsteps of my brother (an Army Guard brat) and to achieve the same rank my father was able to achieve in 4 years of Active Duty: Staff Sergeant.

I did make this rank back in 2001, and one-upped Dad in 2005. But now I'm stepping into something that just is overwhelming, amazing, and overwhelming (did I say that?) all at the same time. Becoming a master sergeant takes on so much more responsibility, so much more opportunity. I've moved into the top tier, the one that people look up to, Lord knows I did. My mentors have been chiefs who have been there for me every step, guiding my path, guiding my career. A toast to Ronny, Mungie Boy, Dinger (aka Murdock), Buck, hell even Ozzie. You guys helped make me who I am today. And not just chiefs - senior master sgts have guided my ways. Here's to Tommy and Jenn and others.

To be honest, I'm a little scared with this. Plus RAC told me he never quite knows when he's going to retire, he could at any time now, and his is a job that would be awesome, but would be a step to a completely different level. All this is so much to take in on the last day. One of the questions was "What does this day mean to you?" I choked up - this is monumental. Seems pathetic to say, but I really does mean a lot. I never thought I'd make it to this point...it seems really surreal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your promotion, MSgt Saramoe. From your reflections here, in this post and in others, I'm confident that you'll make your mentors proud!

~moe~ said...

Thanks, ericjay. Did you re-enlist?

jb said...

YAYAYAYAY! i'm so proud of you lady! we'll celebrate the next time i see you! (over gelato? :) )