08 December 2007

Christmas wishes

It's getting closer to feeling like Christmas. We had some light snow today which is always pretty to see. Mom and I made flat bread (another of our family favorite's) this afternoon and that coupled with the krumkake I made earlier this week has clinched the baking portion (even though I will be making more). And today I watched White Christmas again. I love that movie. The Abraham number is my favorite. *sigh* If only I could dance like that.

Angela at Fluid Pudding had a great post the other day with a lot of truth to it. Read that first, then bookmark Angela because she's awesome, then come back here.

I really do get tired of talking about Christmas, especially when it is surrounded around “lists” and “wants”. Of course, I also get tired of the “when are we going to celebrate” and crap. I wish it was just easier. It all seemed easier when I was a kid. There wasn't a question – it was just assumed we'd wake up and meet in the living room where the tree would have presents and stockings. We'd all gather together, hug and wish each other Merry Christmas and then celebrate the whole day through.

Now with the family having families of their own, it's harder. When to meet, where to meet, and how it's all going to go down seems to be the bigger issue. It becomes almost a chore and the day is filled with the stresses of trying to meet up and remembering everything, three families coming together (I'm counting Mom and Me as one since we don't have S.O.'s), what to eat, when to meet, what to do. I miss the simple days.

This year we're celebrating together the Saturday before Christmas due to other conflicts with the other families. I'm glad we can all get together, but then the selfish, single person in me wonders just what I'm going to do Christmas morning and maybe I should have planned to go to Florida with my other brother.

Sometimes I wish it could just all go away. Not Christmas, but all the hoopla attached to it. I'd love if we could all just get together and spend time together – playing games, talking, laughing, eating (we are Lutheran), and just be a family. Skip the gifts! Though we did get closer to that this year: we opted to just get gifts for the young kids – i.e. my niece's and nephews, not siblings.

But anyway, these are trivial things. Just wishful thinking.

No comments: