23 December 2007

Napping - bad for your brain; Discardia

Vacations aren't good for me. The time off is nice but when I start it out by taking a 3 hour nap that I didn't need but decided to have just because I could, that's not a good thing. I came home from church today and read the paper, read Post Secret, had a little breakfast and then decided to take a nap.

I just woke up. And the dream I had was pretty weird.

It was the last day of work before a holiday. For some reason my boss and I were sharing the same office. It was the office I have now, but his conference table was perpendicular to the window with his desk at the window end and mine by the door facing him - like a big capitol I. He was in jeans and blue shirt and I was in uniform for whatever reason. At 11 I decided to go for lunch, but when I left I was walking around my hometown outside our old elementary school. Around 2 I decided to go back in, and when I did I ran into Maria from my old job (Hi, Maria!) and Sandra Oh, for some reason.

Sandra asked me to watch her 3-yr-old boy for an hour until she finished her meeting. I agreed, Sandra took off, and I asked Maria questions about the boy - mostly how to pronounce his name because I couldn't remember it. It was something like Chai Lee or something. I kept pronouncing it wrong and the boy kept correcting me.

Then I started feeling guilty that I hadn't been back to work yet, so I took the boy and we headed toward the cafeteria (not on the way to work). Suddenly there were a bunch of kids I was taking care of and they had all taken their coats off and thrown them on a booth. They got their food but sat at the booth behind the coats. I started picking up the coats and on my left showed up 4 big, burly men who had been sitting at the booth. I apologized for the children and they smiled big grins with teeth missing and said it was fine (it felt kind of like a truck stop, not really a cafeteria at this point).

Well, then I ditched the kids (I think Sandra showed up and I left) and headed back to my office. When I got there my boss was sitting on the floor behind his desk going through his recycling bin. I chuckled and asked if he was sorting out the stuff with SSNs so I could shred and the color/magazines so I didn't have to. He said, "No but if you take this one then you can shred it." He handed me our goals for this year, based on last year's and pencil marks all over it. I said, "You want me to type this up?" He said, "Yeah, then shred it." Ok.

Then I walked back to my desk, took off my gortex coat, and sat down, watching his head as he went through papers, occasionally seeing his hand come up and set paper on his desk.

Then I woke up.

I'm sure part of this stems from my slight, ever so slight, guilt at taking a non-needed nap. It also stems from my need to clean my house. Discardia started again on Friday but with my niece coming and Christmas I just didn't get started yet. So I need to start it now.

The one good thing about napping - it keeps me from eating. Maybe I should sleep this whole week and I could lose some righteous weight. :)

No comments: