22 December 2007

I'm just a love, uh, bun machine

Well, that doesn't sound good either.

The last two days I have been a baking freak. Yesterday after having an awesome lunch with Sarah, I went grocery shopping to pick up the items I needed to keep a 7-yr-old happy and to bake the things I needed/wanted.

My niece came to stay with me last night. We made snowmen cookies. Put together graham cracker houses and made dough for no-knead dinner rolls. While this was a super plan I learned a very valuable lesson:

Don't try new recipes when your niece is coming - always test them prior to her arrival.

None of these worked. I was ticked. The snowmen cookie recipe was bad, and so if I do those again I'm going to use my own sugar cookie recipe. This one was just odd and the cookies ended up being really heavy and not turning out well. The graham cracker houses wouldn't set so our roofs fell apart, and soon the buildings did too (we even frosted everything together last night and did our decorating this morning and they still fell apart - sort of. I think mine are still together.) And the rolls...oh the rolls.

I love this recipe so I'm hoping that I can get it to work. There's no kneading needed and it's fun to make. But I'm still new to this bread thing so I'm not really sure what I did wrong, if the yeast wasn't happy or I didn't let them rise long enough, I don't know. The buns I made ended up not poofing up like they should have and my oven was heating weird so they burned on the bottom before they even were able to poof. I have some dough left so I'm going to try the rest tomorrow.

But it was fun to spend time with my niece. We had a good time and the next time she comes to stay with me our baking projects are going to succeed.

The rest of today was Christmas at the Moe's. We had dinner, opened presents, played our traditional game of Cranium, and then packed up and headed home. Pretty quiet but fun to be with everyone again.

No comments: