22 December 2007

As the days go by

I just thought of this, which is funny that I forgot to mention it sooner since I've been thinking about it all week. A year ago today I resigned from my job at the sem. Interesting.

I've been counting this down all week. Thursday I had my review for the year (this is an annual thing from my part-time portion of my job). Before my boss and I sat down to talk about it I reminded him that a year ago that day he and I had met at that same table and I interviewed for my position. That played into my review a little bit. In '06 and previous years my interview revolved around PA (Public Affairs), classes and training I needed for advancement and moving up in that world. But now with the job I'm in and the change in the PA section, that opportunity won't be there for several years.

Well my review began with my boss telling me what a great job I've been doing and how happy he is to have me in that office (with all the nice furniture). I reiterated to him that I'm so happy where I am and that I love my job. He said that every time another position opens up he fears he's going to lose me, so I chided him for disappearing to conferences during November when the other job was open. We had a good laugh and then he asked me about looking at an officer role.

This floored me. I wasn't really expecting him to ask me about this. He wondered if I had ever thought about it, and I had but next week I meet the board for promotion and I start the top tier. Do I really want to go back to the bottom and work my way up again? The money would be great, but I'm not certain it's for me. However, that said, boss 3 will be retiring in a few years and his job would be awesome. My boss said that's one reason he was asking me about my thoughts on it.

We had a great conversation. I was so grateful for the few moments we had together, alone, without phone calls or interruptions. It seems any time he and I try to talk we get interrupted which sucks.

Anyway, he wants me to stay so I guess that means my review was a success. :)

And yesterday at 8:52 a.m. a year ago was when I received the call from said boss inviting me to take the job. And I said yes and subsequently went to sing at a funeral. Interesting.

And one year ago today, I sent in my resignation, shocking the president and vice of the sem. It has been a crazy, wild ride since then. And other than leaving the awesome atmosphere of the Cities, I don't regret it at all.

No comments: