18 December 2007

Called out

So JB called me on my last post, and it's so true. I remember when I was growing up and Ellen Degeneres was just starting out in the comedy scene. She had gotten a gig on an HBO comedy special, one of the few women of the time. I have the commercial for it on a VHS I have from back when I used to record movies all the time. Anyway, the joke is that Ellen is talking about those people who always try to get you to taste something they don't like, and she takes a drink of water, "Oh, this is disgusting, taste this."

That kills me every time. And that's basically what I did with yesterday's recipe post. The funny thing is that the reheat I had today actually tasted better than the original. And again, I never really follow recipes and I really, really didn't follow that one - no onions, too long in the cooker, and mashed potato flakes instead of rice.

But the truth is, I never should have tried this recipe. I know better - I don't like stews and this was basically what this was...a stew. I've never been a fan of stew, unless of course I'm watching The Princess Bride and the scene where Fezzik is trying to revive and explain the circumstances to Inigo comes on, then suddenly I crave Dinty Moore Beef Stew. I blame Karla-Ernie for that one.

If anyone has any recipes for slow cooking that wouldn't turn into a stew, doesn't need onions or have mushy carrots, please let me know. I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile for this one. :)

1 comment:

Megan said...

I noticed you used the Taste of Home action on that slow cooker recipe. Chris's mom & sister get those and hand them over to us fairly often (at least, they did when we lived in the States...) so I've seen a few of those around. Chris and I are going to be going CRAZY with cuisine upon our return, so maybe we'll even try something crockpot/slowcooker. In other words: I can't help you right now, but I'll keep you posted.