07 December 2007

Hi Kettle? This is Pot. You're black.

My mom kills me. When I was younger she used to have a really tough time at work. She would come home and call our neighbor and lament to her about the awful day she had had at work. Then over supper she would repeat the story to Dad and me. Then her friend from work would call and they would go over the whole day again.
Dad and I would sit in the kitchen and just shake our heads. It was frustrating because Mom was never able to work things out, she just kept reliving it over and over again.

I have found that I do this at times too, but I think since I've started my blog I haven't as much. When people ask me what's new in my life or what's going on I generally say nothing has changed and all is the same.

I do have a venting post and said VP gets the brunt of my problems anymore. But I do try to limit it all to just that one vent and maybe on the blog.

Well, tonight Mom and I were driving back from Emmy and Zach's Christmas program (which was super fun but a story for another time) and Mom was discussing a friend of hers. This friend I've never been too fond of because she's always been a very negative person and after Mom would spend time with her she would be very negative. It got annoying.

But tonight Mom was talking about calling her friend but then she said, “I just can't talk to her for very long. I know she's dealing with a lot but I can only take her stories for so long and she starts to repeat herself. It gets really frustrating. You'd think that after talking to {man from church} for two hours earlier in the night would have worked out all her problems and she'd be tired of talking about it.”

Thankfully the car was dark so my smile was not seen as I inwardly chuckled – Hi, Kettle!

2 comments:

Sparkling Red said...

It's said that the characteristics which bother us the most in others are ones which we are unaware of having ourselves. Case in point!

~moe~ said...

It's also said we become our mothers...and it's things like this that make me scared I'm going to become mine. Eek! :)