30 December 2007

Making headway

Well, no, not really. I've been sorting through papers and trying to sort through a few boxes and it's been insane. I did find my table and put my very wrinkled tablecloth on it so hopefully that will keep me from putting more things on it again. It looks so nice now! (Next step: buy chairs)

But the rest of the papers...ugh. I do feel better that I've been able to sort through a lot and created two boxes of items to recycle and a half box of things to shred, with a pile of more possibilities. I have a crate of my military papers that I need to organize and file - I'm thinking a new filing cabinet just for that stuff.

And in the midst of it all I found some items that made me smile (much needed in the sea of papers): I found letters from some old friends I haven't talked to in a long while (Joy, Tim, Noogie Grant, Terri), and I found some great quotes in my books. One was "It's not a lie, it's a gift of fiction."

But my favorite was from either a book or my humorscope one day: "There are at least 70 matters that you could become fully immersed in today, but all of them will be in varying stages of undress, disarray or disrepair by the time you're finished handling, uh, deconstructing them. Moreover - for obvious reasons - your sense of accomplishment will be nil. Just stick to your knitting instead."

I always thought this was hilarious, but many of my friends were confused. It did come in handy today as I became overwhelmed a few times and took a timeout to knit instead. My next blanket is coming along well. YAY!

But back to my, ahem, project. God willing I'll figure out the best thing to do with all this stuff. A large bonfire sounds great but not practical. So I'll just try to sort and keep my sanity.

No comments: